Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 4,896 miles 04 F-150 5.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan_FX4

$50 Site Donor 2022
Here is my latest UOA on my 2004 Ford F-150 5.4L 3V. This run had a lot of short trips and city driving with some interstate driving of 150 miles each way when I drive home from school every few weeks. Side note, the oil was in use for 3 months, and a motorcraft fl-820s oil filter was used. So, enjoy and all thoughts and comments are appreciated.
wink.gif

F150129265.jpg

Anytime I see chromium over 1, I suspect dirt ingestion causing excess ring wear. But even on the first UOA it was 4, which is 4 times more than I like to see, silicon was only 10 so it might just be this engine's signature. I'd still look into whether dirt ingestion is happening since basing dirt ingestion solely on silicon is imperfect.

I would certainly bump up the OCI to 7500. Its an excellent UAO. Get the TBN. OIA or Polaris (same thing) does the TBN and oxidation/nitration for less $$ than B/S. Unless you enjoy the B/S (useless) comments.

Jordan_FX4, you should consider greatly extending your OCIs.

The PU is doing a fine job, but any decent dino could do this same great job, at these OCI intervals, for WAY less money. You're not getting any ROI here.

Dnewton3, thanks for the comment! I definitely will run my oil longer, the only reason that I changed it @ 5k was because I was down to the add line & figured I might as well change it instead of spending $8 to buy a quart of oil to top it off. I will probably run it 7.5k and go from there next time.

JAG, thanks for the tip! I don't think I have an air leak as the intake is spotless above the filter, but I will certainly take a look at it. All 3 uoa's have been with an Amsoil Ea air filter that I will probably change at the next oci, but I'm not sure if that is the issue.

Before my last run of Pennzoil ultra was castrol gtx high mileage, so I thought that might explain the high sodium if it's an additive in castrol.

My dad had 7 quarts of the ASL 5w30 that needed used up and he asked if I wanted them, so I figured it couldn't hurt. My truck has also started using some oil since my driving habits changed because of school from >90% country roads and highways to around 50-60% city. I thought I would test and see if there is less consumption on the 5w30. My next oil change will probably be P.P. or P.U., not sure if it'll be 5w20 or 5w30 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back