Pennzoil Ultra 4000 mile / 4 month warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
To maintain Ultra's engine warranty you must change the oil, at or before, 4000 miles or 4 months:
http://www.pennzoil.com/#/warranty

Consider the 2005-2007 Porsche 911 Carrera and Carrera S models which have 20,000 mile / 2 year oil change intervals:
http://www.porsche.com/filestore.aspx/de...iletype=default

Pennzoil is recommending that if you use Ultra, in that vehicle, you must change the oil 5 times more often than Porsche suggests.

Pennzoil isn't stating that Ultra will fail, after the 4000 mile/4 month mark. Yet they are suggesting that it will no longer meet, their own minimum protection threshold, thus making it unwarrantable after that point.

The consumer, in the above scenario, may conclude that Ultra is an inferior product. Reasoning that a superior product would not have to be replaced more often.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

The consumer, in the above scenario, may conclude that Ultra is an inferior product. Reasoning that a superior product would not have to be replaced more often.

This should be interesting, my Marauder calls for a 5000 mile OCI and many members like to do the extended drain thing.

I could just run Motorcraft 5W-20 which is alot cheaper than the PU.

so PU thread number 299 and this was discussed in several others.

yes its retarded marketing.
end of story..

marketing = oil.. i think not.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Wow, with a TBN of 13, that's just cRaZy!

If PP can easily go 7500 miles and maybe longer, I see no reason why PU could easily go 7500 miles or maybe even 10,000 miles.

Many of us think changing our oil at 3000 miles is overkill, changing the PU out at 4000 miles is like changing the dino oil out at 3000 miles. I would think that with the great additive package in the PU they would be recommending a longer OCI than 4000 miles, what's going on guys.

I think the name of the game is sales, follow the warranty requirements and they sell a lot of oil. If I were them I would have changed the wording of the warranty. They aren't going to be paying out on it anyway so there is no difference.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
It is called a legal department.

EXACTLY! Don't diss the oil because of this silly 4K/4,000 mile policy. PZ dino has THE SAME 4K/4,000 mile change stipulation in it's guarantee.

Oil company warranties are useless for the most part. M1 EP has a 15K mile warranty for average service. Still useless in my view.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: c3po
Originally Posted By: shpankey
Wow, with a TBN of 13, that's just cRaZy!

If PP can easily go 7500 miles and maybe longer, I see no reason why PU could easily go 7500 miles or maybe even 10,000 miles.

Many of us think changing our oil at 3000 miles is overkill, changing the PU out at 4000 miles is like changing the dino oil out at 3000 miles. I would think that with the great additive package in the PU they would be recommending a longer OCI than 4000 miles, what's going on guys.

That's what I was meaning. It's crazy to only recommend 4k OCI's with a TBN of 13! They should recommend at least 7.5k, of not 10k!

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

EXACTLY! Don't diss the oil because of this silly 4K/4,000 mile policy. PZ dino has THE SAME 4K/4,000 mile change stipulation in it's guarantee.

No, I'd call it the marketing department. Sell, sell, sell!

New oil, guarantee if you drain every 5 miles/5 minutes, think of the oil we'll sell!!

John

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

BUT IT'S DINO!!!! You think that I'm going to pay $6qt just to change it out at 4k!? That is crazy!

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
BUT IT'S DINO!!!! You think that I'm going to pay $6qt just to change it out at 4k!? That is crazy!

If I was changing my oil out at 4K I would be buying a 5 quart jug of Motorcraft 5W-20 which comes out to $2.41 a quart.

A premium oil with a premium price like PU should be warratied to at least 7500 miles. JMO

They could have made the warranty simple: Follow the mfg recommendations for oil change intervals, and we will guarantee your engine for X amount of miles. Then with all the typical 30 pages of fine print and disclaimers they'd be fine. After all if their oil meets the car makers specs there should be no problems using it for the car makers recommended intervals.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
To maintain Ultra's engine warranty you must change the oil, at or before, 4000 miles or 4 months:
http://www.pennzoil.com/#/warranty

This has been discussed ad nauseum, even on this forum. If anyone still doesn't realize that these marketing programs have only one goal in mind (force you to stick with one brand and coax you into buying more oil), then I don't know what else to say.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
They could have made the warranty simple: Follow the mfg recommendations for oil change intervals,

But then they wouldn't sell anywhere as much oil. After all, they're not in the business of offering engine warranties. They're in the business of selling motor oil.

Oil warranties are worthless and just marketing. If your basing your lubrication decesions on this they marketing is working.

Find me somewhere that an oil company has paid somebodies repairs

That's what I said in the beginning, 4 months 4000 miles sells oil, sell, sell, sell its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$. My thinking is my vehicle warranty says 6 months 6,000 miles. So why would I spend $7 a qt on that oil? I'll be dead before I reach 500,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'll be dead before I reach 500,000 miles.

Yeah, seriously. I don't think I'd even want to drive the same car for 500k miles, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back