BARIUM 0
INSOLUBLES 0.3
WATER 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 430
SUS VIS 210ºF 59.7 67.7
cSt @ 100C 12.11 12.33
TBN

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first UOA. Montero SR 3.5 DOHC purchased new in 1994, garage kept. Oil changed religiously every 3,000 or once a year. This is my first PU, prior was Royal Purple, Mobile 1, and for many years Valvoline Maxlife.

This is not my DD. Live in the desert southwest, went to Silverton, Ouray, Teluride, Co driving the switchback trails [Imogene, Engineers Pass, Black Bear etc] at 12,000 foot plus [severe service]. Engine started to overheat water boiled into overflow 2x. Needle did not go into the red. Never ever over heated prior to this. Did these trails multiple times last 8 years with no problems. Engine immaculate, maintained with all OEM parts etc. Does not burn oil.

Opinions appreciated. Will do another UOA. It will take at least a year.

Have Magnafilter over Platinum oil filter, in addition to Gold Plug. Both had minute amounts of FE. Concerned about FE, However I am a novice. Blackstone seemed concerned.

*Sample set Priority Mail, you won't believe what happened! Thank you
smile.gif

Code:

Code:
OIL PU 10W30
MILES IN USE 4,040
MILES 120,811
SAMPLE TAKEN 08/14/14

ALUMINUM 3
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 33
COPPER 6
LEAD 3
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 56
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 2
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 2
POTASSIUM 7
BORON 49
SILICON 11
SODIUM 100
CALCIUM 2380
MAGNESIUM 2
PHOSPHORUS 687
ZINC 826
BARIUM 0
INSOLUBLES 0.3
WATER 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 430
SUS VIS 210ºF 59.7 67.7
cSt @ 100C 12.11 12.33
TBN 4.0

Last edited:
Those little V6's do work hard at high altitudes.

As to your high temps, when was the last time you had your cooling system flushed and coolant replaced?

Have you ever had the thermostat replaced?

Were the outside temps higher this year than in previous years?

I done a severe service in 2013. New 3 core radiator, water pump, thermostat, timing belt, plugs, coils, etc etc. All OEM parts $$$

Ambient temp 73 to 59 pending elevation. Temps may have been a few degrees cooler in 2013, & 2012. Previous trips same time of year, there is a limited availability due to snow, most of the year.

I have Amsoil coolant in radiator, transmission, transfer case etc etc

Well, you seem to have those bases covered.

How about fuel? Different fuel?

I always use a high octane fuel of 91 Oct. or greater when going up to Pikes Peak, since the ECU leans things out in the rarefied ether.
smile.gif

I don't like viscosity, 12.11 for 10W30. For me oil looks too thick, may be change it earlier.
Also TBN is almost useless without TAN, IMO.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I always use a high octane fuel of 91 Oct. or greater when going up to Pikes Peak, since the ECU leans things out in the rarefied ether.
smile.gif

Just curious, why? Driving in mountains, I would expect using lower octane number fuels.

Should I buy the test strips for the antifreeze? Or is there an analysis like the oil?

The owners manual calls for premium gas. I normally use Chevron, if not top tier fuels. However; in Co there were no chevron's, I used Shell and Phillips 66 all premium.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Well, you seem to have those bases covered.

How about fuel? Different fuel?

smile.gif

Why is that? I use lower octane in fuel injected cars at altitude because you can.

[censored], even on the carb'd vehicles I have just swapped jets before.

What are you trying to solve? If you are doing some trailriding put a good electric fan on it and I bet you wont have any issues. It isn't your fuel or oil that is causing that. As for oil, I ran 15w40 Rotella in my 3.0 89 SWB Montero and it like it. (also had the [censored] valve stem seals too) If you don't brun oil with the 3.5, I'd run a nice cheap full synthetic that can take a range of temps you might see. Something like a M1 or PP 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back