Pennzoil - Technology behind ‘Made From Natural Gas’ and Vehicle maintenance while driving less Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about euro 0w40.
SN+ and SP versions have different
tech specs listed for viscosity, etc., but the
product number is the same for both.
Are they different formulations or the same?

Are there modifications possible that could easily improve performance of lower viscosity GTL base oil?

What are the flashpoints of these two respective oils?
Pennzoil's PDS's show the flashpoint of PP 5w-30 at 207*C (405*F) and PUP 5w-30 at 203*c (397*F)

For reference, I have Supertech FS API SP 5w-30 at 441*F as per Warren's PDS and QSUD SN Plus 5w-30 at 460*F as per Project Farm's VOA.

Pennzoil's PDS's show the flashpoint of PP 5w-30 at 207*C (405*F) and PUP 5w-30 at 203*c (397*F)

For reference, I have Supertech FS API SP 5w-30 at 441*F as per Warren's PDS and QSUD SN Plus 5w-30 at 460*F as per Project Farm's VOA.

Yeah, those flash points are on the low side. After I asked the question I looked around and found MSDSs on Platinum and Ultra Platinum that list the flash point for each of them at 224C (435F) but those may have been older datasheet from before they switched to GTL.

I would have some concerns about consumption at those flash points, which is a shame since I have been planning to go to PP next oil change on a Nissan Frontier.

Hopefully our Pennzoil representative will give us the official data on flash point.

Aren't they all going to fairly quickly shear out of grade given that they start near the bottom of the viscosity range? I know these modern oils are more shear stable, but not infinitely so. Why start out right at the bottom of the grade?
This thread is a Q&A for the Pennzoil team. Please start a new thread if you want to discuss further in detail.

In the process that converts natural gas to base oils, what percent of the finished base oil is the molecule or molecules you are trying to produce? Said another way, how pure is the finished base oil?

Last edited:
This thread is a Q&A for the Pennzoil team. Please start a new thread if you want to discuss further in detail.
If I wasn't clear that was a question for the Pennzoil team. To restate - why make your oils start at the bottom of the viscosity range and isn't shearing out of grade with use an issue if you do that?

Last edited:
I like 5W-40 Pennzoil for my cars. Does either of your 5W-40s come close to meeting Dexos 1, Gen. 2 ? I like to make my own choice of what to use in my cars. Or, what am I missing by using Pennzoil 5W-40 instead of a 5W-30 D 1 G 2?

Someone I trust said that "Made From Natural Gas" probably should be considered a little higher than a group III oil. Can you comment on this?
Thank you so much.
5w40 euro is API SP. d1g2 is just a GM spec, SP covers all vehicles. AFAIK they serve the same purpose

If I wasn't clear that was a question for the Pennzoil team. To restate - why make your oils start at the bottom of the viscosity range and isn't shearing out of grade with use an issue if you do that?
It would be better if you didn’t reply to other posters. Just submit your own comment.

5w40 euro is API SP. d1g2 is just a GM spec, SP covers all vehicles. AFAIK they serve the same purpose
This is a Q&A for the Pennzoil team. It would be beneficial to start a new thread if you want to talk more specifically about something.

What is the Noack rating of Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30?

UP 10W-30?

I saw it quoted about 5 years ago as 4.7%, placing it among the best of any oil, regardless of price.

However, I’m quite sure that the formulation has changed since then.

I have four questions.

#1 Can you update the PDS for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W20? You website and the EPC.shell site are missing API SP PDS’s but you can buy SP PUP on Amazon.

#2 Just about every oil company including Pennzoil have been releasing special Hybrid oil lines. The PDS for both of your 0W-16 oils (Platinum and Hybrid) look identical. Is there a different add pack or is it just a rebadge to sell to younger Hybrid owners? Can you state the benefits of the Hybrid compared to Platinum if it is a different formula?

#3 With the licensing of API SP Most oil companies have posted their wear and cleanliness numbers compared to API SP specs. Royal Purple and Castrol are advertising 6x better wear protection than required by API. Amsoil is advertising 5.28x better and Valvoline is advertising only 50% more wear protection on the Full Synthetic HM formula. Quaker State used to do that with API SN but with API SP they only talk mostly about cleanliness. Would Pennzoil look into publishing their wear performance for advertising or is it so poor you don’t want to publish it?

#4 Quaker State, Mobil 1, and Castrol have posted engine tear downs using a popular car model and shown the results. Would Pennzoil consider doing an engine tear down in the future?

Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back