Pennzoil "Synthetic" Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done a few searches, and in the few dated threads I found, Penzane was mentioned.

I have seen some of the newer Pennzoil "Synthetic" bottles, and they dont have Penzane written on them. Is this the same stuff ?

I know it is Group 3, but the 5w-20 MEETS Fords specs, and since I have the extended warranty, I thought I might try it.

I looked at the M1 0w-20, and the wording says " Meets Fords PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENT" and I think that may be a misleading statement and it doesnt MEET the actual specs.

I know about the cost and GRP 3 arguments, but putting that aside, is this a good oil? I will still be doing 3-4k OCI (I drive a supercrew HARD in Texas Heat), and I just want a GOOD oil that MEETS Fords 5w-20 Spec, money deltas aside.

Thanks

[ April 17, 2004, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: rbraughn ]

The reason Mobil can't claim that their Mobil 1 0w20 "meet"s the Ford spec is because that spec calls for a 5w20 oil. Except for that, the Mobil 1 0w20 exceeds ever performance criteria of the Ford spec.

Sure, I understand that the Mobil 0w-20 is better, I just can't trust Ford not to try and screw me on a Warranty claim if I ever need one.

I even thought about the old "copy the 5w-20 receipt, return it and use 10w-30", but that is a PITA also.

So I figured I would use a Ford Spec'd "Synthetic" instead of the dino blend for a little added protection

If there's ever a problem just drain the oil and put in some cheap 5w20 dino before you take it in.
smile.gif
I wouldn't waste my money on a Pennzoil group 3 when Mobile 1 is about the same price.

Guys, PLEASE...The question is " Is the Pennzoil group 3 a Good oil...will it offer more protection than the synthetic blend 5w-20's?

I am totally aware of all of the options to using this oil, I merely want to know if it is a better oil than the 5w-20 blends? I know it is more expensive, I know Mobil 1 is better, but will the grp 3 Pennzoil protect my engine better than the blends?

I don't mean to be harsh, but everyone usually goes off topic on a question like this and starts talking about every option but the original question.

Thanks...and sorry for the rant
wink.gif

[ April 17, 2004, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: rbraughn ]

Calm down. I don't have the answer, but you only posted this a couple hours ago. Patience Grasshopper..

JohnnyO said that the yellow bottle 5w20 was already 40% group3.. so why bother getting the grey bottle for a great deal more?

I'm running the yellow in my car right now and it feels fine. No complaints. I will try another oil next time though, want something more slippery. I decided I don't want to pay the price for Royal Purple, so I think what I will do is, in July try Motorcraft 5w20, and then in the fall/winter try Mobil1 0w20 for the winter.

quote:

Originally posted by rbraughn:
but will the grp 3 Pennzoil protect my engine better than the blends?

Probably not.

I'm running Pennzoil 5w20 in my Chrysler now and I'm going to do a UOA on it at 3000 miles. If the numbers come back good, I'm going to continue with 5w20. Johnny (not JohnnyO) with Pennzoil has offered to send me a case of Pennzoil 5w20 synthetic free of charge so I can run that after the regular 5w20 and we can compare the wear numbers.

Given the way Pennzoil's regular 5w20 is built, i.e., 40% Group III, more moly than even Schaeffer uses, lots of boron, and overbase levels of calcium, I don't see how their "all Group III" synthetic could really be that much better (at least for normal drain intervals). In fact, that would probably be the only advantage to using the Pennzoil 5w20 synthetic: if you wanted to stretch the drain intervals on out to 7000-9000 miles. I predict the regular 5w20 will easily be good for 5000-6000 mile drain intervals. We'll see...

Swift,

ReRead my posts. I was not complaing about lack of responses, and I was not being impatient, I was merely asking for responses to MY QUESTION.

I have been here for over a year now, so I have heard most of the M1 vs Grp 3 debates. I was trying to get an answer to a specific question.

I am always appreciative of ALL replies I get, but I also know how far OFF TOPIC a thread like this can get.

I have recieved a PM from a very knowledgeable, senior member here that was very helpful and to the point.

Once again thanks for ALL of your replies
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Johnny (not JohnnyO) with Pennzoil

cool.gif
Thanks, that's what I was thinking.
wink.gif
I haven't been on much at all this week, had surgery on my elbow and today is really the first day I can get my arm up to the keyboard.
cheers.gif

FWIW, I'm a car nut but not a chemist, I think either oil would be fine.

quote:

Originally posted by Technarch:
I'm running the yellow in my car right now and it feels fine. No complaints. I will try another oil next time though, want something more slippery.

How are you going to know it's "more slippery"?
lol.gif

Well, most people take off all their clothes, slather Pennzoil all over themselves....take all the sheets off the water bed and then.......well thats the way I do it, doesn't everybody
dunno.gif

grin.gif

quote:

I even thought about the old "copy the 5w-20 receipt, return it and use 10w-30", but that is a PITA also.

Walmart and some other retailers will not list the viscosity on the receipt. Several months ago when I purchased oil at Walmart for two different cars my receipt only listed Castrol Syntec and Mobil One and the quantity of each brand that I purchased. No mention of the viscosity anywhere on the receipt. AutoZone however will list the viscosity as well as the name brand on the receipt.

G-man II, informative posts. I agree 100%.

quote:

Originally posted by Sin City:

quote:

Walmart and some other retailers will not list the viscosity on the receipt. Several months ago when I purchased oil at Walmart for two different cars my receipt only listed Castrol Syntec and Mobil One and the quantity of each brand that I purchased. No mention of the viscosity anywhere on the receipt. AutoZone however will list the viscosity as well as the name brand on the receipt.

I believe UPC codes are listed on Wal-Mart receipts. If there were ever a question, the numbers tell all about the product.

The number should be all you need, perhaps even better.

G-man II, informative posts. I agree 100%.

quote:

Originally posted by rbraughn:
Well, most people take off all their clothes, slather Pennzoil all over themselves....take all the sheets off the water bed and then.......well thats the way I do it, doesn't everybody
dunno.gif

grin.gif

Well, I guess you've given up on staying on point. . .
wink.gif

Just wanted to address one of the points you mentioned. You're headed in the right direction by NOT playing the "5w-20 reciept while using 10w-30" game. First, if you do have an expensive warranty claim that has even a remote whiff of an oil issue involved, you can bet that Ford will be demanding (or themselves performing) a UOA on the contents of your crankcase. You know what happens next. . . Second, you sleep better at night knowing that you can look your kids in the eye and tell them that regardless of what shenanigans others may use, you shoot straight.

I realize that there's probably a good reason why the best answer you seem to have received to your questions came in a PM, but I'd still invite the senior member who gave it to share all (or maybe part) of it with the rest of us. To be very clear, I'm not asking you to violate any trust extended to you. At any rate, why is this forum here if not to spread such knowledge to the maximum extent possible?

rbraughn, I don't think you should be so worried about Ford screwing you over for several reasons. Remember, this is not a Toyota or Dodge sludge maker engine you've got.

1. If you run ANY decent oil and filter and change it every 3000-5000 miles, you WILL NOT have an engine failure during the warranty period caused by the oil with Ford's 5.4L or 4.6L V-8's . END of Story.

2. Motorcraft website lists 5W-30 and 10W-30 oil as optional for 2001 Ford vehicles that called for 5W-20 in owners manual, probably will eventually list the same for 2002-2004 models.

3. If the impossible happens and you lose a Ford V-8 during warranty due to an oil related problem, I just do not believe Ford would have a case against 5W-30 or 10W-30. The engines did not change at all from 2000 to 2001 and beyond when the 5W-20 requirement came into effect. You could easily prove this in court, Ford could not prove that 5W-30 or 10W-30 caused engine failure. Ford would not have a legal leg to stand on.

Ok ford 4.6 have bad valve seals? 4.2s have bad intake gaskets, 5.4s have slapping pistons, but most all run to 150k plus miles. I guess ford gotta have some way to make people buy new trucks
rolleyes.gif
Seriously, didn't know about valve seals, thats a new one....live and learn. Thanks for the info.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by RF Overlord:

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
Seriously, didn't know about valve seals, thats a new one....

It's a "new one" because Ford fixed the valve seal issue back in '96, IIRC...

Yes, Ford did fix it, although candidly, I didn't realize it was that long ago. I do know that it seems that at least every third Crown Vic taxi I pass in here in New Orleans (where I work during the week) seems to leave a wispy, light blue trail behind it. In fairness, though, they are running. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back