Pennzoil Synthetic Blend (At least 50% syn) quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
It advises "at least 50% synthetic base stocks"

Does this mean at least 50% GrpIII?

Many Bitogers feel that conventional SN oils are partly formulated with some GrpIII as well. I wonder where the cutt-off is for a manufacturer to designate one product, conventional and the other a syn-blnd.

It was whatever they had to do to meet the specs for dexos certification...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: salv
MSDS on PSB lists synthetic hydrocarbon and PAO base oils. Likely about 40-45% group III, 5-10% PAO.

That is an impressive mix... I will look for the MSDS instead of PDS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
I wonder where the cutt-off is for a manufacturer to designate one product, conventional and the other a syn-blnd.

There is no cut-off. An oil blender could in theory formulate their basestocks with 1% synthetic and 99% conventional and call it a 'synthetic blend'.

I seriously doubt the large, mainstream blenders like SOPUS and XOM do this. They are likely using (approximately) equal amounts of Grp II and III, in general.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Many Bitogers feel that conventional SN oils are partly formulated with some GrpIII as well.

From my understanding, they almost have to be. SN requirements are pretty difficult to meet without a really good basestock.

Originally Posted By: salv
MSDS on PSB lists synthetic hydrocarbon and PAO base oils. Likely about 40-45% group III, 5-10% PAO.

I would certainly expect it to contain mostly II and III, with some IV and/or V as well - but I wouldn't go as far as to guess percentages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back