Pennzoil Synthetic 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed under the data sheet that 75-85% of it is synthetic base stock...

Is Pennzoil's Synthetic 5W-30 (API SL/GF-3) a Group III or a "true" synthetic engine oil?

I know Quaker STate's Synthetic 5W-30 is based on Group III (hydorgenated something..) API SJ/GF-2

How many miles/months can I leave Pennzoil Synthetic 5W-30 in my Ford 4.6L SOHC V8?

Welcome to the site!

It is a group III mineral oil period.

The how long and miles falls under the type usage ect

There are many oils available as you probably know,look for one that has a low cP pressure in the data sheet for cold start and flow and you can always step up a grade when the weather gets warmer

Good luck looking for your oil of choice and you will notice,opinions will vary although the large percent here I think will agree a group III oil is a waste of money vs performance,at least the group III's that are offered currently

Shaeffers hase a nice 10/30 blend that will pump better when cold that it's own 5/30,,Mobile Drive Clean Blend is the only other over the counter blend available I think.
There are many good dollar a quart oils available,just depends on your driving style and needs

I do mainly city/highway driving - but not much idling at all. I'm very heavy on the gas and I rarely cruise at low RPMs.

Is ~$3/ qt for Pennzoil Synth 5W-30 a bad price?

BTW thanks for the welcome!

I haven't seen anyone here get excited about any group 3. At $3/qt, to me you'd be better off with another oil. Not to say it's bad - I'm sure it would work fine for you - but there are better oils for less money.

Check the virgin oil analysis forum. Penzoil "synth" & others are there for comparison.

Oh, and welcome!
cheers.gif
This place never fails to amaze me with its wealth of knowledge and ability to shred brand loyalty.
smile.gif
Another big
cheers.gif
to Bob and the expert contributors who spend so much of their time educating the rest of us. I keep learning how little I know.

David

I fall under the Group 3 synthetic haters club too. I feel that none of the group 3 oils out there are any better than the $1 oils out there. In many cases the technical specs on the cheaper oils are a lot better! Just look at Castrol Syntec's pathetic cold weather performance for example. Group 3 oils are way overpriced, especially when compared to Schaeffer oil which is cheaper and easily blows them away. I have yet to see a fabulous oil analysis on a group 3 oil.

Interesting.

I usually use Pennzoil Non-synth 5W-30 API SL/GF-3 in my 2000 Crown Vic. I find that it performs pretty well, but with the Pennzoil Synth 5W-30, I noticed it flows a lot faster out of the bottle and doesn't have that popcorn smell.

I haven't taken it for a road test yet, but I might as well use it for awhile before switching to a better oil.

I'll start reading the Virgin Oil analysis
smile.gif

thanks for the heads up!

Metroplex,

I'm a Schaeffer convert. Just bought a case from Tim Mills in Arkansas for $3 quart and $10 shipping.

That said I am not a Group III hater. I just don't think the additives in Group III oils are as good or even consistent. They change the formulations with no notice. I am a stickler for wanting to know what is in my oil. Schaeffers does not hide anything and is first rate.

IMHO Schaeffers additives and 20% PAO will last longer in the crankcase than the Group III options available in America.

BTW--Group III oils need pour point depressants more than PAO/Ester based oils to operate in cold temps. Not a bad thing, just a fact.

Other than that Group III is overpriced but a big improvement over Group II in purity and stability.

metroplex: Let's see. You have a 2000 Crown Vic that you drive a lot on the highway. I see you don't drag race it, so hear is my opinion. Continue to use the Pennzoil 5W30 in the yellow bottle or use the Group III synthetic if you like it. Change either every 5,000 miles and go put 200,000 to 300,000 on your Ford.

And welcome to the site.
cheers.gif

Johnny: Actually - I rev it hard enough in daily driving, I try to hit at least 5300 RPM during the shifts as much as possible
smile.gif

I can go 5k w/ dino Pennzoil 5W-30?

Should I change the filter twice during that interval?

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
So the oil doesn't just go bad after 6 months of sitting in the engine?

Not at all. A lot of people on here go with one year oil change intervals and find that the oil is still in good shape. I haven't changed the oil in my wife's car since April, or my mom's car since February, and still feel comfortable. Coincidentally, both of them are at about the same mileage on their oil so far, at just over 3k. I'm going to change both of their car's oil out in November, and send both in for analysis too. Mom's car has 10w30 Mobil 1 TriSynthetic (94 Probe GT with 130k on it) and the wife's car has 5w30 Mobil 1 TriSynthetic (2000 Civic with 38k on it)

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
Johnny: Actually - I rev it hard enough in daily driving, I try to hit at least 5300 RPM during the shifts as much as possible
smile.gif

I can go 5k w/ dino Pennzoil 5W-30?

Should I change the filter twice during that interval?

No need to change the filter twice in 5k. As a matter of fact, I think most filters in most engines are good to 10k quite easily.

WOW

I never knew that (about the 5k/10k deal).

Is there a time limit for this interval?

I put maybe 6k miles a year tops on the car.

Some have said they find that the Amsoil filters have problems with their antidrainback valve failing at 6 months, but in their car that might be over 10k, so it's hard to say if it's mileage or time related.

If I had a car with a really tiny oil filter I'd probably not push it to 10k, but I'd still say it could go 7-8k. One point of reference is that the Corvettes now have a 15k oil interval, and the PF44 filter they come with is pretty small. If they feel that filter can go 15k and not get clogged, that says something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back