Pennzoil Synchromesh leaking from SAAB 900s (NG)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swapped out the old oil in my 1995 SAAB 900s's gear box and decided to try Synchromesh to see if would have any better shifting but what i do now have is a serious leak from the seal on the axle shafts that i did not have before. It seems this Synchromesh is just too thin and its coming out the seals.

Would switching to 10W40 help this situation? Adding some BlueDevil snake oil did not help one bit. Im not looking forward to changing these seals..

changing to another fluid wont change the fact that the seals dont seal any more, you have to replace thedamaged seal then you can use any fluid yiu like

You have a vehicle that is almost 20 years old. While you may not be looking forward to changing the seals, in a vehicle that old you don't have any other choice.

You can try all the bandaid fixes, or you can fix it right.

Quote:
It seems this Synchromesh is just too thin and its coming out the seals.

Would switching to 10W40 help this situation? Adding some BlueDevil snake oil did not help one bit. Im not looking forward to changing these seals..

That fluid has about the right viscosity so we can't blame the fluid.

What you have here is a new fluid that is cleaning deposits from the shaft seals.

This tells me the input and output shaft seals are too worn to hold back the fluid.

Given the age of the seals, I hope they haven't worn the surface of the inner CV joint. If they have, you would need new or rebuilt inner CV joints and I don't know what it would cost.

Does the input shaft seal leak? That would really be upsetting, it would mean you would have to remove the transmission and also replace the clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back