Pennzoil recommends Platinum Euro LX 0w30 for Jetta 1.4 TSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
We are discussing LSPI in engine that does not have LSPI issue.

Why are you saying this? Every car and every engine has the potential for LSPI. Especially small hot turbocharged engines in hot climates. This is specifically why manufacturers are requiring higher AKI fuels and oils additives and engine management systems are adjusting.

Originally Posted by trgfunds

Why are you saying this? Every car and every engine has the potential for LSPI. Especially small hot turbocharged engines in hot climates. This is specifically why manufacturers are requiring higher AKI fuels and oils additives and engine management systems are adjusting.

This is addressed by European manufacturers long time ago.
VW 1.4 TSi with turbo and supercharger (first version of this engine) had an LSPI issue. That was some 10+ years ago before new version was brought to the US.
LSPI issue is issue among new comers into turbo charging game, Asian and American vehicles. Also, Europeans always required premium fuel in the US> Obviously they think 87 can work too, though I would personally never use it in such engine.

Originally Posted by jbutch
I currently have Euro LX 0w-30 in my Subaru Forester XT (FA20DIT) for the cold Canadian winter.

It's running pretty smooth so far. Will do a UOA when done.

BTW, Canadian Tire has this oil on sale this week, 26$ for a 5 liters + 10$ MIR.

That's a good deal on that oil.

I considered running it in my 2016 WRX that I had, but decided against it due to the fact that it was 10 bucks a quart and I couldn't do extended drain intervals due to the fuel dilution of the FA20 DIT.

If I had been able to get it for that cheap, I would have run that instead of the Platinum 10W-30 I ran...maybe in winter.

Edy is right. Its a very common engine in my country... You gonna have more problems using wrong oil in that engine what happens more often than people thinks. That is the problem we have more overhere.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

Edy is right. Its a very common engine in my country... You gonna have more problems using wrong oil in that engine what happens more often than people thinks. That is the problem we have more overhere.

VAG, BMW, MB etc. do not have LSPI issue. They are far too long in this game. VAG 1.4 with supercharger and turbo had this issue, and it was very common, but it was resolved like decade ago.
But, crowd that think anything Asian is better just do not understand that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by jbutch
I currently have Euro LX 0w-30 in my Subaru Forester XT (FA20DIT) for the cold Canadian winter.

It's running pretty smooth so far. Will do a UOA when done.

BTW, Canadian Tire has this oil on sale this week, 26$ for a 5 liters + 10$ MIR.

That's a good deal on that oil.

I considered running it in my 2016 WRX that I had, but decided against it due to the fact that it was 10 bucks a quart and I couldn't do extended drain intervals due to the fuel dilution of the FA20 DIT.

If I had been able to get it for that cheap, I would have run that instead of the Platinum 10W-30 I ran...maybe in winter.

Best oil for our engine imo and at a good price is Rotella Multi Vehicle 5w-30, one of the best UOA i ever had and stayed in grade. Also, it's SN plus rated!

i know is not the same vehicle or engine but i used the Platinum Euro LX 0w30 on my 2008 audi a4 2.0T.
i found on it clearance on AZ for $2 a quart and bought 15 quarts.
i changed my oil in the car back in mid Oct with Castrol 0w-40 euro formula and i had noticed a leaky oil level sensor gasket while changing the oil.
well it bothered me enough to change the gasket last week. audis 2.0t has notorious rattle sound and i felt it got worst with the castrol oil. i could actually hear the rattle from inside the cabin when at a red light but other than that car ran smooth and fine. and it wasnt the tensioner, chain, cam follower or any mechanical issue as i had the engine completely overhauled in april this year.
well after draining the castrol oil to do the gasket i decided to instead used the PP 0w30 instead of reusing the castrol oil. the oil looked and poured much thicker than the castrol.
car idles so much quieter, so much. what surprised the most is how much thicker this oil looks and feels compare to castrol 0w-40

im glad i got 10 more quarts left of this oil.
i usually use 5w-40 liqui moly during summer and castrol 0w-40 for winter but now will used this oil for winter instead.

Despite how it looked and felt, the Pennzoil product was not thicker than the Castrol product. One is a 30-grade and one is a 40-grade and you can look up the KV yourself if you wish.

But, glad you're happy with the performance.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Despite how it looked and felt, the Pennzoil product was not thicker than the Castrol product. One is a 30-grade and one is a 40-grade and you can look up the KV yourself if you wish.

But, glad you're happy with the performance.

i dont doubt what your saying is incorrect
however, from my personal on-hand experience in my vehicle using my hands. the oil felt more dense and thicker when pouring and on my fingers
and also it quiet down my engine at idle.
big castrol/mobil1 guy here. i always used M1 0w-40 for my f30 335i and castrol 0w-40 for my audi for winter since readily available.
for some reason this overhauled engine doesnt like the castrol anymore.

If you poured them at significantly different ambient temperatures then yes, the one poured at the cooler temperature will be thicker. But at operating temperature the Castrol product is thicker than the Pennzoil. Just goes to show you how deceptive an ad-hoc observation can be.

Your perceived noise difference is due to something other than viscosity, likely the particular additive package used in that oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back