Pennzoil (PYB) 5W-20 SN, 5,432 M, 85 Corolla 4A-LC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's an interesting experiment, going down a grade like that. On an older vehicle, there's much less to lose.

It's not like we have a warehouse full of engines to test and all the fancy gear, like the automakers.

I personally have no problems with thinner oils where specified, but tend to be a bit reluctant to experiment outside recommendations. However, I'm not so narrow-minded that I won't learn from those who want to get the data.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

The new fill is Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W-20 SN/GF-5 (made in USA by ExxonMobil). I got if for $5.50 a quart at my local dealer, after some good negotiation. It seems to be a pure Group IV / Group V oil (no Group III) from its nauseating odor. In contrast Mobil 1 0W-20 has a much milder odor of the same kind, probably indicating less Group IV or V and more Group III in it.

I'm surprised others didn't jump all over this statement, but do you honestly believe this to be true? Why would Mobil 1 make their own oil with a lower quality base oil than the oil they make for Toyota? If anything, the opposite is true, which is why Toyota 0w20 costs less.

Originally Posted By: Patman

The new fill is Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W-20 SN/GF-5 (made in USA by ExxonMobil). I got if for $5.50 a quart at my local dealer, after some good negotiation. It seems to be a pure Group IV / Group V oil (no Group III) from its nauseating odor. In contrast Mobil 1 0W-20 has a much milder odor of the same kind, probably indicating less Group IV or V and more Group III in it.

I'm surprised others didn't jump all over this statement, but do you honestly believe this to be true? Why would Mobil 1 make their own oil with a lower quality base oil than the oil they make for Toyota? If anything, the opposite is true, which is why Toyota 0w20 costs less.

First of all, $5.50 is only after hard negotiation. Good luck in getting this price. I was asked as much as $12 per quart. They usually ask for close to $10 per quart.
wink.gif

Well, no one knows for sure the base oils used in M1 or Toyota. M1 costs a lot partially because it's heavily advertised. Toyota is not advertised at all and also cuts down the costs by directly buying the oil from the manufacturer.

Also note that Toyota has a much higher viscosity index than M1, but this doesn't necessarily mean that it's more Group IV/V than M1.

Regarding the odor, M1 0W-20 (which I still have half a bottle of) has a similar odor but it's very weak. Toyota's odor is nauseatingly strong, and it's certainly not a dino-base-oil odor. Perhaps chemists here can tell which base oil produces this strong odor. Or, perhaps, it's coming from the additive package.

I can't remember the last time I saw one of these early FWD Corollas (an elderly neighbor had an '86 he bought used...also had over 200K miles when he got rid of it). In the snow belt they rusted like mad (as did just about everything built in the 80's...). The bodies essentially disentegrated long before the drivetrain wore out. They certainly were a great simple car though...don't those 1.6L engines put out 74hp? Funny how we were content with those low power engines back then and now complain if a subcompact doesn't have at least 140hp and do 0-60 in less than 9 seconds.

How many cars can turn in a UOA like this after that many years and miles?

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
I can't remember the last time I saw one of these early FWD Corollas
we have very few left in this area i have only seen 2 still around here. and those 2 are rusted.

1.6 liters, 2-barrel carburetor, SOHC, 74 HP, 4-speed automatic, 0 - 60 MPH @ 13 seconds.
smile.gif
The only thing I had to do for the engine (other than replacing belts) was to replace the valve-stem oil seals, which cut the oil consumption to zero, even with thin oil. The only trouble-causing things in this car are the vast number of really, really complicated and fragile Nippondenso emission-control systems. You need to tackle them one by one when they give problems in order to keep the car running (and pass the emissions as well). You still see a few of them in the LA area, among multitudes of BMWs, Bentleys, etc.
smile.gif

IMG_1841_blur.jpg

I had put some more pictures here.

First of all, $5.50 is only after hard negotiation. Good luck in getting this price. I was asked as much as $12 per quart. They usually ask for close to $10 per quart.
wink.gif

I still find that odd, since up here in Canada the everyday price from Toyota dealers is $5.70 per liter, while the everyday price of M1 0w20 is double that.

Originally Posted By: Patman

wink.gif

I still find that odd, since up here in Canada the everyday price from Toyota dealers is $5.70 per liter, while the everyday price of M1 0w20 is double that.

You guys are lucky there. Go get it then. I think Toyota 0W-20 is a better oil than M1 0W-20. I used both in a newer Corolla in the past (though the SM varieties) and Toyota 0W-20 had a better fuel economy, which means less friction.

I just averaged 32 MPG on Toyota 0W-20 with my 85 Corolla in 2/3-freeway and 1/3-city driving. PYB dino 5W-20 wouldn't give more than 30 MPG.

The only minor advantage of M1 0W-20 might be slightly easier starting in extreme cold -- 40 - 50 Celcius below zero (40 - 60 Fahrenheit below zero) that is. Otherwise, Toyota will give you less friction and more fuel economy. I also suspect it to be made of better base oil. It also has a stronger additive package than M1 according to UOAs and VOAs.

The long story short, I have little or no doubt that Toyota 0W-20 (the ExxonMobil variety, not the Japanese variety) is a better oil than M1 0W-20.

By the way, you can easily get the M1 here in US for about $5 per quart at Wal-Mart or whenever they have sales in auto stores.

I've switched my Honda over to M1 0w20 from Toyota 0w20, even though it costs more up here. My MPG hasn't seemed to suffer though, I am still getting over 42 MPG on my morning trip to work just like I was getting with the Toyota oil.

In a few months we'll see if my UOA shows any improvement in wear or not. I wasn't dissatisfied with the Toyota oil at all I was just curious to try something new.

It may also be a thick layer of ZDDP "sludge" on the bottom of the oil pan that got liberated by the 0W-20

throw some MMO in there and knock it down to a 17 oil. just kidding

my friend tried a synthetic 0w20 in his 4age corolla. He liked the quick revs. He intended to change it right back to a thicker oil, forgot to, and during rallycross he threw a rod. Bye bye 4age 20v silver top. Unless you are hypermiling that car i wouldn't have any 20 weight in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back