Pennzoil "PureBase"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Pennzoil's "PureBase" or is it just a marketing thing for Pennzoil?

Pennzoil's web site talks about how great it is but does not say what it is. (At least I cannot find its description on their web site)

Is PureBase a Group III base?

I am mostly interested in the 5w20 oil.

Last time I looked Pennzoil was certainly light colored and I assume that the PureBase moniker was a marketing ploy used to capitalize on that fact. Frankly, I always had a bit of trouble seeing it on my dipstick.

Certainly does not have to do with the purity of the product as I just used up the last of some 10-30 bottles and noticed the dark ring inside the bottom of the empty container. About the same settling or sediment I see in GTX! Time to move on to Motorcraft.
rolleyes.gif

[ July 24, 2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Chris ]

Pennzoil PureBase
Conoco HydroClear
Chevron IsoSyn

It's all Group II+ base stock. I guess you could call it marketing. The general public would not understand if you told them your base stock was clear as water, then look in the bottle and see brown oil.

Chris. Don't know what the sediment is. I have never seen that in 20+ years of working for Pennzoil. If you want to send me one of your empty bottles I will be glad to send it to the lab and ask.

You want to thoroughly shake your oil bottles before use....those are the additives sedimenting out
quote:

Originally posted by Chris:
Certainly does not have to do with the purity of the product as I just used up the last of some 10-30 bottles and noticed the dark ring inside the bottom of the empty container. About the same settling or sediment I see in GTX! Time to move on to Motorcraft.
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Alex D:
[QB] You want to thoroughly shake your oil bottles before use....those are the additives sedimenting out
So they can settle in my motor?
frown.gif

Thanks for the offer Johnny but the trash truck just took them away!
mad.gif

Johnny - you took the words right out of my mouth! The Group II+ basestock from the Excel Paralubes venture gets labeled differently depending on which company is marketing it. Pennzoil and Conoco were the original partners in Excel, but the acquisition of Pennzoil by Shell has (or will) lead to Shell divesting its portion of its interest in Excel.

In any event, the technology used at Excel is the process developed by Chevron, which they call those products Iso-syn. Pennzoil calls them Purebase, and Conoco calls them Hydroclear. All the same stuff.

At one of the local parts houses, they have a nice little display from Conoco showing the differences in competitors basestocks versus the Hydroclear product. It really is clear!

Should we assume this makes it better than the other non sythetic dead dino oils? I would tend to think so.

quote:

So the 5w20 is 70% Group 3 and the others (i.e. 5w30) are Group 2+?

MikeySoft, yes. Remember that any 5W-20 oil that meets Ford specs has to meet Fords much more demanding performance requirements such as a double length Sequnce IIIF test and lower limits for the TEOST deposit test. Also many but not all retail stores charge more for 5W-20 viscosity oil than for other grades.

[ July 26, 2003, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

wow that sounds like a good deal. So all 5W-20 oils are 70 group 3 and 30 group 2+
Can 5W-20 be used in an engine that is for 5W-30

quote:

Originally posted by Rick:
wow that sounds like a good deal. So all 5W-20 oils are 70 group 3 and 30 group 2+

I wouldn't go so far as to say they are all this blend, but it appears that the brands on the market to date have taken this Group II-Group III blend approach.

As far as using it in a car speced for 5w30, no, 5w20 is not for these motors in a blanket sense. If you own a Ford, many older motors have been approved for 5w20 in a TSB. I know I posted the TSB a while ago here, so a search of the Ford TSB should turn it up.

[ July 26, 2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: MNgopher ]

"Pennzoil and Conoco were the original partners in Excel, but the acquisition of Pennzoil by Shell has (or will) lead to Shell divesting its portion of its interest in Excel."

Does this mean that the PZ formulation will be changing?

quote:

Originally posted by Rick:

Why not just buy a low cost 100% group 3 synthetic that is in 5w30 if it's the group 3 you want though? For example, if you go to Walmart up here and see 5w20 Pennzoil, it's about $4 per liter. For $5 per liter you could buy Walmart's Tech 2000 5w30 synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back