Pennzoil Platiunum 5w-30 Too Thin?

I don't know exactly what the criteria is for weight ratings so correct me if I am wrong. But I noticed today that according to Pennzoil's PDS for PP 5w-30 the kinetic viscosity at 100c cSt is 8.6. However from my understand for an gasoline engine oil to qualify as 5w-30 is has to be between 9.3 / 12.5. I am sure there is more chemistry going on here that makes it a 5w-30, but I was just curious about this.

PP 5w-30 PDS

I’ve sent three emails to Pennzoil asking them to correct that mistake but whoever was answering the emails didn’t have a clue what I was trying to explain to them. They didn’t even respond to the third one I sent. I also PM’d member Gena Fishbeck, who is a an employee of Pennzoil, but she never responded. Apparently Pennzoil doesn’t really care much about their data sheets.

I think you've got the wrong thread. Maybe start one?

I’ve sent three emails to Pennzoil asking them to correct that mistake but whoever was answering the emails didn’t have a clue what I was trying to explain to them. They didn’t even respond to the third one I sent. I also PM’d member Gena Fishbeck, who is a an employee of Pennzoil, but she never responded. Apparently Pennzoil doesn’t really care much about their data sheets.

These days everybody is just working for the paycheck and if you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself ... That's why most bitog members change their own oil. 🔧

You need to hack into their system and correct it yourself :)

I believe the old "if you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself" saying is just a big ole bunch of horse hooey. How many people on here can say they built their own house from the ground up by themselves, or installed their HVAC system? Or balance their own tires and align the wheels? Root canals? Heart surgery? Spay or neuter pets? Replace a broken windshield or repaired the damage to their vehicle after a crash? The list of tasks we pay others to do is endless.

Also, Shell hasn't bothered to update anything on the Quaker State site, it's apparently even less important than the Pennzoil site!

Last edited:
Just a figure of speech since you "sent 3 emails plus contacted another person ..." :unsure:

the motul eco lite which im using is 11.4 and thats good for a d1g2,sn 5w30oil.and its a third of the price compared to m1 here.plus has hths of 3.3.

I believe the old "if you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself" saying is just a big ole bunch of horse hooey. How many people on here can say they built their own house from the ground up by themselves, or installed their HVAC system? Or balance their own tires and align the wheels? Root canals? Heart surgery? Spay or neuter pets? Replace a broken windshield or repaired the damage to their vehicle after a crash? The list of tasks we pay others to do is endless.

Also, Shell hasn't bothered to update anything on the Quaker State site, it's apparently even less important than the Pennzoil site!
Well built my own house , dug footer layed rebar, pored footer ect. Didnt do roof, dryeall or framing. installed my a/c and duct work with my a/c guy.
Did my alignment because shop sent me home with steering wheel off. Done a few other alignments allso, did some bodywork. Pulled my own teeth(when I was a kid):)
Mounted my new tires, valve stem changes. Painted my old chevy roof.
B.T.W. do all my own repairs.
So ya marked some off the list.

Gina Fishbeck is good people -- maybe shes just really busy right now.

Back