Pennzoil Platinum VS Ultra Platinum.

Originally Posted by jdjiii
Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus™ Technology keeps pistons up to 40% cleaner than the toughest industry standards (Based on ILSAC GF-5, Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30; does not apply to Pennzoil Platinum Euro products), meanwhile Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus™ Technology keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than the toughest industry standards. (Based on ILSAC GF-5, Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30; does not apply to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40.)

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum cleans 65 percent better not 25 percent as in your post.

Your 4th post in >2 years and it's an advert followed by an attempted correction that doesn't even get that right. Bravo. It says it KEEPS pistons UP TO 65% cleaner than the industry standard. So no, it doesn't clean 65% better, that's not what the advert claims.

What the up-to means is reduction allowances for those that beat the crappola out of their engines - for those that abuse their engines extending OCIs too long.

We are not supposed to drive like the 82 year-old grandmother. But not like 30 year-old Mario Andretti either.

Happy New Year OVERKILL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
What the up-to means is reduction allowances for those that beat the crappola out of their engines - for those that abuse their engines extending OCIs too long.

We are not supposed to drive like the 82 year-old grandmother. But not like 30 year-old Mario Andretti either.

It simply means "up to"; it means exactly what it says, that in standardized testing, the results (of that testing) were up to 65% better than required to pass, that's it.

I'm not sure how you've managed to derive whatever that word salad you've delivered is claiming when the verbiage is quite clear, but others appear to be having issues as well so....
21.gif
lol.gif

Happy New Year as well.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

It simply means "up to"; it means exactly what it says, that in standardized testing, the results were up to 65% better than required to pass, that's it.

Up-to means "as-far-as" also. Both determinations engulf the whole arena of drivers today, as-in standardized. We-all maintain different standards under the hood. We all drive different standards. Some law-abiding / some not.

Even this one OVERKILL..... We-all (SOPUS) change our recipes when needed, but maintain the standards required. That's why recipes change daily and ''up-to'' / ''as-far-as" changes daily too.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

It simply means "up to"; it means exactly what it says, that in standardized testing, the results were up to 65% better than required to pass, that's it.

Up-to means "as-far-as" also. Both determinations engulf the whole arena of drivers today, as-in standardized. We-all maintain different standards under the hood. We all drive different standards. Some law-abiding / some not.

Even this one OVERKILL..... We-all (SOPUS) change our recipes when needed, but maintain the standards required. That's why recipes change daily and ''up-to'' / ''as-far-as" changes daily too.

You are grossly over-thinking the statement and reading into it something that is clearly not there.

It reads:
Originally Posted by SOPUS
keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than the toughest industry standards

Which simply means that in their testing against the industry standard that the results were up to 65% cleaner than required. That's it.

So correct me if I'm wrong. PP10-30= a thin oil? Would such an oil be safe for Ohio winters in a 5-30 application?

Originally Posted by D1dad
So correct me if I'm wrong. PP10-30= a thin oil? Would such an oil be safe for Ohio winters in a 5-30 application?

It would be OK. I think, personally, I'd go with a 5W or 0W up there.

What vehicle?

I agree. You can't put to much stock into a jug of 10-30 PP and a jug of mobil1, 5-30 AP in the back of my f250 all day in freezing temps. But I just went out and shook the jugs and the PP is definitely less viscous.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I agree. You can't put to much stock into a jug of 10-30 PP and a jug of mobil1, 5-30 AP in the back of my f250 all day in freezing temps. But I just went out and shook the jugs and the PP is definitely less viscous.

The response to this should be interesting.

You should do a You Tube video.

I put the Ultra Platinum in my wife's 2013 Equinox back at the end of October and less than three months later and around 2500 miles and I had to add a quart of oil to it. First time using the Ultra Platinum and that was the first time I've had to add oil between changes with that car. I've been using the Platinum in my 2015 Suburban the past few changes and never had that issue.

Originally Posted by tjw317
I put the Ultra Platinum in my wife's 2013 Equinox back at the end of October and less than three months later and around 2500 miles and I had to add a quart of oil to it. First time using the Ultra Platinum and that was the first time I've had to add oil between changes with that car. I've been using the Platinum in my 2015 Suburban the past few changes and never had that issue.

That engine is a notorious oil user. Probably just a coincidence that it started with the Ultra.
How many accumulated miles are on it?

Originally Posted by tjw317

I have experienced the same situation with 5W-20 Pennzoil Platinum. It was fine in my wife's 2016 Jeep Latitude. In my car, a 2008 Honda CR-V with 220,000 miles, there was quite a bit of consumption; 1.5 qts over a 4,500 OCI. I have since used Mobil 1, Castrol Edge and current fill of Quaker State Ultimate Durability and consumption is slightly less than 1/2 quart per 4500 OCI with all of those. I always assumed it might have something to do with Pennzoil's GTL formulation but that is just a guess. I would say to try a different oil at next change and see if your consumption improves.

I have a 2016 civic 2.0 litre, non turbo. Should I buy the platinum or ultra-platinum for my vehicle, the ultra is $4 more. Read the ultra-platinum is for turbos.

Currently running ultra-platinum, I wonder if I can mix the oil for my next oil change if I go the platinum route, as I have some ultra-platinum remaining opened from last oil change. ?

I have a 2016 civic 2.0 litre, non turbo. Should I buy the platinum or ultra-platinum for my vehicle, the ultra is $4 more. Read the ultra-platinum is for turbos.

Currently running ultra-platinum, I wonder if I can mix the oil for my next oil change if I go the platinum route, as I have some ultra-platinum remaining opened from last oil change. ?
The Ultra Platinum is not only for turbo applications.

Yes, you can mix them with no issues. Either will do great in your Civic.

$4 is really nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'd get PUP over PP for only $4. $15+, nah.

$4 is really nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'd get PUP over PP for only $4. $15+, nah.
Is there any tangible benefit of PUP vs PP. My only concern is winter time, when upon startups engine receives the most damage. Would PUP benefit in better viscosity in the winter vs PP?

Back