Pennzoil Platinum vs Castrol Edge with SPT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for some opinions between these oils for my 2013 Ram. Was using Pennzoil because that's what chrysler changed to but am finding that it does not go on sale nearly as much as Castrol Edge does. Might start using the Castrol and wanted peoples thoughts on it that have used the oil before. Cheers

I've used both oil's. I'm running the Castrol Edge in our '09 Saturn Vue and my daughters '11 Chevy Cruze. I also used Castrol in my BMW which now my other daughter has. One thing I like is that when it goes on sale at Canadian Tire, all the 5 L grades are on sale ie. 5w40 and the new 0w40.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Castrol Is a good motor oil and have the edge over pennzoil

I agree that Castrol makes a good oil but I certainly don't think they have an edge on Pennzoil. SOPUS (who make Pennzoil) makes some of the best oils in the world. PYB is probably the best dino available and PU is among the best syns.

I am leery of using Castrol products in colder weather because they seem to be on the thicker side (although this may have changed recently).

If I had to choose, PP would be my choice....

I see a lot of GOOD UOA's of PP on dodge engines. Not saying castrol would not do a good job, because it would. Either one will work. I would use the PP.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Castrol Is a good motor oil and have the edge over pennzoil

Only in your head.

OP. Use the one you can buy for less money and easier to obtain. Your engine will never know the difference.

Im a huge Castrol fan and the only oil i run that is worthy other than Castrol is Royal Purple

Last edited:
I've had fantastic performance from PP in my last 3 and current cars. Even near the end of the OCI, the PP still had sufficient service life. Haven't tried Castrol as much. Big fan of PP here. PP is good to go!

ETA: Also, PP 5W30 has the Honda/Acura HTO-06(M1 5w30 also) rating which is required/highly recommended for the K23A1 turbo motor in the 2007-2011 Acura RDX. I use PP 5W30 in my Evo X GSR with confidence.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Being that EDGE 5W-30 causes horrific noise in a 2014 Sonata 2.4L .... I'd choose something else.

Yeah....right .

What is it with you and noisy engines caused by oil ??

Oil that flows back to the pan quicker leaves less oil hanging around in the engine as sound insulation.

It takes a good ear to enjoy the symphony occurring under the hood. Toss the sound proofing engine cover in the trash, turn down the radio, and pay attention.

Fast oil drainback keeps the oil pump's head better.

The Syntec varieties do go on sale constantly in Canada, but it's not terribly hard to find PP or QSUD on sale, either. Canadian Tire just seems to alternate QSUD and PP sales, whereas black bottle and gold bottle Castrol go on sale at the same time.

Between M1, pp and edge I found the edge actually worked best in my 10 Nissan Xterra 4.0L engine. Fast&quiet cold start up, quiet normal operation w/o being too over damped or noisy and great mpg.Next was pp and M1 was awefully noisy under quick acceleration. All SM version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back