PENNZOIL PLATINUM, not a synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I been reading with some of the posts lately, and there are some saying that PENNZOIL PLATINUM is NOT a synthetic motor oil. Is this true? What do you guys think?

Originally Posted By: EPHIOS
I been reading with some of the posts lately, and there are some saying that PENNZOIL PLATINUM is NOT a synthetic motor oil. Is this true? What do you guys think?

It is more oil than your engine needs for 5k OCIs.

It is a syn according to the market place and a very good oil.

Don't get caught up in what type of oil you use. Just use a rated oil for your app and you'll be fine.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

It is more oil than your engine needs for 5k OCIs.

It is a syn according to the market place and a very good oil.

Don't get caught up in what type of oil you use. Just use a rated oil for your app and you'll be fine.

Bill

Very well said Bill.
thumbsup2.gif

I been reading with some of the posts lately, and there are some saying that PENNZOIL PLATINUM is NOT a synthetic motor oil. Is this true?

Maybe you haven't been reading these posts carefully enough. There are different types of synthetics out there and that's probably what the discussion was about. Some will say that group III is not a TRUE synthetic, meaning it was not created it the same process as group IV or V. Still, you should be more focused on the oil's performance rather than on how exactly the oil was concocted. Nowadays, group III oils appear to be performing as well as most group IV and V oils.

Thanks! I change my oil every 3K, due to I drive in a city 95% of the time and extreme conditions here in Las Vegas.

It is a GP III hydro-cracked petroleum base. It is not a lab synthetic such as PAO or Ester.

You might think of it as a super refined petroleum. Such oils are allowed to be advertised/marketed as Synthetic.

Other oils in this category are Valvoline Synpower, Castrol Syntec, and I think, maybe, Castrol Edge, Amsoil XL series and Quaker State "Q" oils to name a few you might recognize.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
and I think, maybe, Castrol Edge,

Edge contains some PAO, according to Castrol's site. However, we don't know how much PAO, and of course the remainder is probably group III.

Thanks! I change my oil every 3K, due to I drive in a city 95% of the time and extreme conditions here in Las Vegas.

The benefit of a synthetic oil is that you can run in at extended intervals or at extremely low temps. Looks like this does not apply to you. You might as well run mineral oil then. Pennzoil yellow bottle would most likely do just fine at 3k, even taking the Las Vegas heat into consideration - what feels hot for humans is not really considered extreme for a modern engine.

You HAVE to change the oil every 5k miles or 6 months whichever comes first till 5 years or 60k miles.

PP 5w-20 is a excellent oil and PLEASE change it every 5k. No worries at all.

Also, your conditions are MUCH easier on oil and engines than most of the US. (unless you are a oil company marketing dept trying to sell oil, then Las Vegas is the worst on oil)
smirk2.gif

5k with PP in your Toyota engine is perfect. REALLY!

Take care, bill

I'm with Bill. You need to stick to 5000 miles for your Toyota warranty, but that's already very conservative and you're using an oil with much longer drain capability.

Upgrade to 5000 miles, and feel comfortable that PP is a group 3 "synthetic" oil that will handle this with no problem, even in Vegas.

With that OCI you could use any oil and if you want a synthetic use the SuperTech Synthetic for such low OCI's.

Wow - you change your oil too often. Kinda wasteful. PP can go 5K EASY pie.

As for your OP, keep reading. Much to learn.

I run PP 7000 miles in my Mazda in HOUSTON. Trust me, we know about hot!

Nevermind outside air temp, unless we're talking about super cold. Think of how hot it is inside the engine!

I thought I'd seen someone in the know say that PP was using a Group III+ base, which I take to mean gas to liquid based technology. Anyone know the scoop on this?

Originally Posted By: maximus

I run PP 7000 miles in my Mazda in HOUSTON. Trust me, we know about hot!

Nevermind outside air temp, unless we're talking about super cold. Think of how hot it is inside the engine!

And Humidity besides the heat...in Houston that is!

Yeah PP is a great oil, was great in the winter in Chicago Area when starting my truck after sitting outside all day at the office. Love the December -January zero degree days! And the Chicago wind too to top it off with the wind chill!

i think so, Bill are you referring to the extremely low humidity that reduces condensation in the motor? the high temps most of the year that bring oil up to operating temps? i been to vegas when it's 105 and also when its 40 F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back