PENNZOIL PLATINUM, not a synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FrankN4
It is a GP III hydro-cracked petroleum base. It is not a lab synthetic such as PAO or Ester.

You might think of it as a super refined petroleum. Such oils are allowed to be advertised/marketed as Synthetic.

Other oils in this category are Valvoline Synpower, Castrol Syntec, and I think, maybe, Castrol Edge, Amsoil XL series and Quaker State "Q" oils to name a few you might recognize.

Is Mobil1 also in this group?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Bill, just asking, does humidity if near 100% factor in?

I think it does as more humidity does cause lower power output and more water in the byproducts of combustion.

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ] i think so, Bill are you referring to the extremely low humidity that reduces condensation in the motor? the high temps most of the year that bring oil up to operating temps? i been to vegas when it's 105 and also when its 40 F

Yeah, really Las Vegas has great weather for oil. No cold starts, oil temps up to normal quickly for good flow and lube, very little humidity for water in the sump.

I've been in Vegas when the temps are 105 at MIDNIGHT. Well into the teens during the day. Below freezing at night going through.

All better than well below freezing for the oil life. Short trips in the cold are the worst in my book.

But the engines still last!

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
and I think, maybe, Castrol Edge,

Edge contains some PAO, according to Castrol's site. However, we don't know how much PAO, and of course the remainder is probably group III.

I believe Platinum does too. Probably not all that much, but it's been said there's some in there. And with the cleaning claims may come esters. But only the people in the SOPUS bunker know for sure...

Originally Posted By: dbvettez061
It is a GP III hydro-cracked petroleum base. It is not a lab synthetic such as PAO or Ester.

You might think of it as a super refined petroleum. Such oils are allowed to be advertised/marketed as Synthetic.

Other oils in this category are Valvoline Synpower, Castrol Syntec, and I think, maybe, Castrol Edge, Amsoil XL series and Quaker State "Q" oils to name a few you might recognize.

Is Mobil1 also in this group?
Some grades have a predominant group 3 base. They use to be all group 4 if I'm not mistaken and some varieties still are (0w40). But when Castrol and Valvoline and Pennzoil can call a group 3 synthetic, it makes financial sense for M1 to jump on the bandwagon given a group 3 is easier to produce/manufacture than a group 4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Wind chill does not matter to your engine FYI.

I realize wind chill has no affect on an engine, but when the car is sitting in a parking lot on a cold windy day, I'd imagine the engine would be brought down to a colder temp faster than on a still day. Wouldn't this result in a colder start for the engine if the car had only sat for 2-3 hours? Lol, it's not like this is a big issue, I've just always wondered if there could be some truth to this.

According to Valvoline, their synthetic oil is not all group III. They use
a mixture. For example, the pour point of 5w30 Maxlife Synthetic and Synpower
is -42 C. It seems the pour point of all the group III synthetics is at -39 C.

PP is great stuff.

It will protect your engine as well or better than the other leading synthetics and many of the "boutique" oils.

You can keep your current change interval or let it extend up to 5000 miles without any problem.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
and I think, maybe, Castrol Edge,

Edge contains some PAO, according to Castrol's site. However, we don't know how much PAO, and of course the remainder is probably group III.

I believe Platinum does too. Probably not all that much, but it's been said there's some in there. And with the cleaning claims may come esters.

Probably multifunction VII.

What is all this ridiculous talk about "the heat where I live". Last time I checked these are all water cooled engines and all operate at the same temps no matter where you are. The real issue with synthetics is cold start flow.

Last edited:
I'm old school.REAL synthetics aren't on sale at Walmart and have long extended drain capability's. I quit Castrol years back because of Syntec.I used Castrol products.Syntec came out and I thought what the ? Found out it was in WORDING and because of Lawsuits that it had the word synthetic on the bottle and felt ripped/lied to all in the name of marketing.Never used a Castrol product again.Still haven't that I'm aware of.

I've been a long time Mobil 1 and Redline oil user. I bought some Pennzoil Platinum on sale at Walmart to try out in my next oil change and see how the UOA's compare. I reserve my opinion for now because it would be strictly opinion and not fact. My gut has a hard time accepting any GRP 3 oils as synthetic - just because they are allowed to advertise it that way (thanks Castrol!) doesn't make it a true synlube to me. I think Mobil 1 may be the better oil based on ingredients - BUT everybody is correct that the END result really makes the oil and I am sure PP will do the job especially in a 5k OCI.

Last edited:
All you Castrol Bashers should be gratefull. Mobil 1 would be going for 10+ a quart at current prices if the market had not been opened up.

To the OP: At a 5K or less OCI I'd use PYB dino and save some $$$. I doubt the Scions longevity will be affected.

PP is an excellent oil but I doubt any benefits are apparent at shorter OCI's.

Opening the market up with [censored] to sell something is not a way to win friends and influence people.Thats what Castrol did and allowed to happen.Hope you read this Castrol.I inquired about their SO called Synthetic ATF a while back.They were almost rude and answered nothing.Those so called synthetic oils could have used a differant way to market instead of preying on consumers whom do not investigate a product but take a LABEL face value.

Last edited:
High temp areas like Lost Wages can be very hard on oil and engines. Cabs are hard on oil because of the idleing they do which can produce high crank case oil temps. Temp extremes, cold or hot, are hard on oil and engines. In these conditions use a good synt and your engine should produce many trouble free miles.

I figured that ambient temps that are closer to the oils ideal operating temp is a good thing? I got no proof just thought it made sense. Would being in desert area mean more dust/fine sand in the air which is bad for oil? At least Vegas doesn't have to deal with all the hills I have to climb.
beer3.gif

Originally Posted By: stenerson
I figured that ambient temps that are closer to the oils ideal operating temp is a good thing? I got no proof just thought it made sense. Would being in desert area mean more dust/fine sand in the air which is bad for oil? At least Vegas doesn't have to deal with all the hills I have to climb.
beer3.gif

Nope, that is why Air Filters are important. More important than what oil you run.

You are correct that the warmer the air temps the easier the engine has it.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: tig1
High temp areas like Lost Wages can be very hard on oil and engines. Cabs are hard on oil because of the idleing they do which can produce high crank case oil temps. Temp extremes, cold or hot, are hard on oil and engines. In these conditions use a good synt and your engine should produce many trouble free miles.

That is why most of the Cabs in Las Vegas run Conventional oils and last hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems.

Las Vegas being hard on oil is only in the minds of Marketing departments trying to sell oil.

Take a cab in Buffalo in the middle of winter would be more of a test. Even better would be a delivery vehicle that sees start and stop with engine OFF at each stop in the dead of Winter.

Much harder than ANYTHING that Las Vegas could put out.

But for selling oil Las Vegas seems to be the place...
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back