Pennzoil Platinum new front label.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
On the right.

15591372998198528006403982963003.jpg

Is it just me or does Shell keep changing label designs ?

The prominent feature is the part that it's made from natural gas.

Well, they also flipped motor oil and Dexos … that's huuuuge !

Last edited:
So the marketing department decided they wanted to ride the green wave with oil made from natural gas and there weren't enough do-it-yourselfers who had turbo charged vehicles. They don't even mention the turbos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
So the marketing department decided they wanted to ride the green wave with oil made from natural gas and there weren't enough do-it-yourselfers who had turbo charged vehicles. They don't even mention the turbos.

Maybe because they are going to introduce a turbo oil in the future? My speculation.

Imagine if you are the one designing labels for marketing as your job. You need to keep new labels coming to look busy. You can't just sit at your desk for years doing nothing.

well one is 5w30 and one is 5w20.. maybe the 5w20 isnt targeted at turbo engines?

the 5w30 also meets Chrysler ms-13340

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Imagine if you are the one designing labels for marketing as your job. You need to keep new labels coming to look busy. You can't just sit at your desk for years doing nothing.

best explanation ^^^^ right there.

"Job Justification"

Originally Posted by Linctex

best explanation ^^^^ right there.

"Job Justification"

Yep. As the saying goes, "earn your keep."

Any one that just sits in you graphic arts and design group and only produces labels isn't worth much. Since my daughter use to run a major Graphic Arts for a .com I have some back ground in this side of the business. They are busy, busy, busy doing many things or they aren't there long.

I listen to talk radio in the van all day long and every 3rd commercial it seems is a Pennzoil commercial about it being super pure and made from Natural Gas so this must be in line with that.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Any one that just sits in you graphic arts and design group and only produces labels isn't worth much. Since my daughter use to run a major Graphic Arts for a .com I have some back ground in this side of the business. They are busy, busy, busy doing many things or they aren't there long.

^^^^ this! Also, anyone in the industry knows that the person designing the label doesn't work at Pennzoil, they work for an independent firm that does graphic design for many different companies, so they are always busy doing something for somebody.

Not quite. As I said above, Pennzoil has found that consumers don't find "PurePlus" very clear. They don't understand that made-up term, or how it would benefit them. -------> THAT is why the label no longer mentions PurePlus, and it is why Made from Natural Gas is there now. A shift to something plainer, clearer, understandable.

Marketing is essentially two things
1. Coming up with a problem people dont know they had/creating a problem for the consumer
2. Providing an immediate solution

I.E "Little Johnny needs an oil for his truck, but nothing says truck on the oil bottle!" "LETS CREATE ROTELLA GAS TRUCK!"

The 0W-20 used to be labeled as "for use with SAE 5W-20 applications". Then it was labeled as for "turbocharged engines".

I guess they are no longer making those claims. I wonder if that decision came from marketing or legal. Maybe we'll get lucky, as they launch a promotion with coupons, discounts, and another rebate.

It keeps their product looking modern for next to no cost for the organization

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back