Pennzoil Platinum from O-reilly's; what color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

par

I just bought a 5qt jug from O-Reilly. Funny that they had to get the jug from the back room as none were out front.

When I got home I noticed the plastic seal around the base of the cap was already broken, i.e. the cap unscrewed without effort.

The oil also looks darker than I expected.

What should I do? Return or use it?

Immediately complain to O'Reilly about the open container and next time closely inspect to insure the cap's seal is fully intact.

Pour a few drops out seem if it still looks dark. In the bottle it does look quite dark, I've noticed that too. still, they should not be giving you an open bottle. Pennzoil was putting codes for their Fuel Rewards program under the cap, lead to lots of people getting hosed out of their codes because someone already used it and returned the jugs.

Smell it for fuel if you're worried it's used oil. PP does look dark in the bottle - easy to read the jug gauge on the side.

Originally Posted By: Doog
How about just take it back.

x2. I read somewhere here a guy bought a jug of synthetic that he was sure smelled like dino. When youre used to certain brands, its pretty easy to identify if something isnt right.

Who really knows, but I wouldn't risk it. Realistically your car wouldnt know the difference assuming its not used, but you paid for a quality synthetic and knowing that is what you are getting would be nice.

Last edited:
This is the very reason I stopped buying Pennzoil products - too many of them opened at the store by "cheaters". I've moved on to Castrol for the time being as they have foil seals on their 5 qt jugs which tells you whether or not the product has been tampered with.

I doubt my car noticed the difference.

Back in Dec I bought a gallon of Shell Rotella Triple T 10W-30. I went to open it the other day and found that it was already opened and carefully closed as to not make it obvious the ring seal was broken. I checked the oil and it's still amber and clean looking. I'm assuming that someone was after the code under the cap.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I read somewhere here a guy bought a jug of synthetic that he was sure smelled like dino.

laugh.gif
Oh man.

I just bought a 5qt of PP. The seal was not opened. When I processed the $10 rebate it asked if I wanted to get the $.25 off of gas offer. Anyway I had to say yes and had to upload the receipt to their website and I will get my code in 10 days for the gas discount. Seems they changed the their process since last time I bought PP.

The seal was broken because people are steeling the product code printed on the inside of the lid. Back in the summer when they were giving away free gas as the rebate you could hardly find a jug of it at wal-mart that had not been opened. You didn't have to upload the receipt, just that code. Pretty stupid on their part IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back