Pennzoil Platinum Euro or Castrol EDGE 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you are getting below -25F then it won't make any difference, especially until -30F or below. So use either one in that case. At 0F there will be no meaningful difference.

Mercedes does not specify a required grade, that it is only a recommendation. They require an approval and as long as that is met so will any warranty requirement.

As far as shear stability is concerned that has a lot to do with how shear prone your engine is and the quality of the VII used in the formulation. In order to meet the Mercedes approval requirements any oil that carries the required approval will be acceptable.

For most applications just pick the least expensive oil you can find at Walmart or Amazon that carries the approval required by Mercedes. Make sure it actually has the approval and isn't just "recommended for". The labeling requirements as well as all the approved oils can be found here:

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

The rabbit hole goes deeper... 5w-40 it is. Where to start? Do any one of the oils below a standout or are even a bit better than the others? Sorry for all the questions. I do appreciate the help!

229.5 Approved
Mercedes Genuine Engine Oil 5W40 ($8/qt)
Mobil 1â„¢ Formula M 5W-40 ($8/qt)
Mobil Superâ„¢ Synthetic Euro 5W-40 (??/qt)
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 Motor Oil ($6/qt)
Castrol EDGE 5W-40 ($4.50/qt)

Originally Posted by ACC
The rabbit hole goes deeper... 5w-40 it is. Where to start? Do any one of the oils below a standout or are even a bit better than the others? Sorry for all the questions. I do appreciate the help!

229.5 Approved

Somehow Edge 5w40 that you can get here in the states is not 229.5 but older 229.3

Among those, I would give the Pennzoil 5w40 try first since it's also approved for Maserati, and amazon is full of great reviews.
M1 Formula M and OEM are on the same level imo
Do look at Motul 8100 5w40, lots of amazing UOA here on bitog, I've used it as well and it's a good stuff

03C1EF8D-260B-49BB-879A-7DE2002284E1.jpeg

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter but I'd like to see you try EDGE 0w40. 90% positive reviews on Amazon and many claim it cures the valve ticking in their engines. Being it will see some cold temps too you'll have the MAGNATEC molecules and Ti additives during cold starts. Report back if you go this route...
And I can't believe I'm recommending Castrol lol.

Originally Posted by ACC

229.5 Approved

There is no rabbit hole. Just pick any 229.5 oil, regardless of whether it is 0W-40 or 5W-40. buster makes a good recommendation to use Castrol 0W-40, Walmart has it for cheap and it is one of the best motor oils on the planet.

Resist the urge to follow the true rabbit hole of more expensive oils that also have 229.5 approval. UOA posted here for other engines and different operating conditions are meaningless. Just go by approval and price.

Originally Posted by buster
It really doesn't matter but I'd like to see you try EDGE 0w40. 90% positive reviews on Amazon and many claim it cures the valve ticking in their engines. Being it will see some cold temps too you'll have the MAGNATEC molecules and Ti additives during cold starts. Report back if you go this route...

Somehow over the last month or so you have been lovestruck by Castrol Edge lol

19.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by buster

Somehow over the last month or so you have been lovestruck by Castrol Edge lol

19.gif

Haha I'm intrigued by the chemistry they are using and some of the testing claims.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Resist the urge to follow the true rabbit hole of more expensive oils that also have 229.5 approval. UOA posted here for other engines and different operating conditions are meaningless. Just go by approval and price.

There's no rabbit hole in trying some little more expensive oil in AMG. If there's no difference in 229.5 oils then why do you still recommend Castrol
smile.gif

I've seen some good results with Motul 5w40 which is $13 more expensive, I bet $13 a year is barely a rabbit hole for an AMG owner

Originally Posted by SlavaB
There's no rabbit hole in trying some little more expensive oil in AMG. If there's no difference in 229.5 oils then why do you still recommend Castrol
smile.gif

I've seen some good results with Motul 5w40 which is $13 more expensive, I bet $13 a year is barely a rabbit hole for an AMG owner

Because it is $20.98 for five quarts at your local Walmart. Really if you don't want the Castrol then go with the Mobil 1 for even less including a rebate. But some people don't like rebates.

There is no quantifiable difference you can cite that conclusively demonstrates that one MB 229.5 oil is better than another.

Had the Motul in the cart, but bought the Castrol Edge 0w-40. Reviews seem great and I'm curious if the engine will quiet down at all. Hopefully consumption drops a bit as well, though I'm not sure that matters. Reviews of the Motul 8100 X-cess 5w-40 rave about oil burning becoming a thing of the past. FYI, both seem to currently carry 229.5.

Originally Posted by ACC
Had the Motul in the cart, but bought the Castrol Edge 0w-40. Reviews seem great and I'm curious if the engine will quiet down at all. Hopefully consumption drops a bit as well, though I'm not sure that matters. Reviews of the Motul 8100 X-cess 5w-40 rave about oil burning becoming a thing of the past. FYI, both seem to currently carry 229.5.

Castrol is a solid choice. Hopefully your AMG is gonna like it. There's still $5 off of M1 purchase at Walmart going on, that brings it down to $17 instantly + still can apply for a $12 rebate (if you haven't yet)

smile.gif

I think walmart does not make much or any profit from the Castrol Edge 0w-40 since Castrol 0w-40 is more expensive than Motul 8100 X-cess 5w-40 in Eu. Just saying

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

smile.gif

I think walmart does not make much or any profit from the Castrol Edge 0w-40 since Castrol 0w-40 is more expensive than Motul 8100 X-cess 5w-40 in Eu. Just saying

Can you provide any links to European stores? I just wonder to see it

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

smile.gif

Can you provide any links to European stores? I just wonder to see it

ato24.de

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back