Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30 in my 1998 4Runner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone foresee any issue using a Euro spec Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30 on my ancient 1998 Toyota 4Runner with the 3.4L 5VZFE? The bottle does say it exceeds API SN spec.

The reason why I ask is because it's very hard to find a reasonably priced 0W30 here in Canada, but when Canadian Tire has their sales, their Euro version of the Pennzoil Platinum goes on sale for the same price as the normal 5W30 Platinum. I'd like to try 0W30 because of how cold our winters are.

There's no reason you can't, but it's very different probably than what the engine has had its entire life. It has lower saps and it's a very thick 30 weight. It is much thicker at operating temp than PP 5w30. Unless you expect the vehicle to sit overnight at -30 or worse a 5w will be ok.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
There's no reason you can't, but it's very different probably than what the engine has had it's entire life.

What issues would that cause? The engine is at 390,000 kms and I've owned it since 300,000 kms of which I've been using normal PP 5W30 the whole time. However, in that time I've probably changed out every single seal on the engine that comes in contact with oil, with the exception of the oil pan gasket.

PP 5w30 is almost a 20 weight. PPELX is almost a 40 weight. Truthfully you may lose a few points in fuel mileage but thicker oil may help a bit in an engine with this much mileage also. How long is your typical oil change interval?

8000 km as per OEM recommendations. I have done an oil analysis which suggests there's still alot of life left at that OCI and I could probably push it to 10,000 kms. I'm sure the last 90,000 kms on the PP diet has done as much cleaning as it can and when I pulled the valve cover last year it was pretty clean inside.

I could probably run the cheapest 5W30 and still get another 500,000 kms on it, but with the PP rebates the cost of running a top notch synthetic are negligible.

I say give it a whirl, or at least try the high mileage version (5w), just to try something different. 10k km is nothing for any of these oils.

Originally Posted by nobb
Does anyone foresee any issue using a Euro spec Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30 on my ancient 1998 Toyota 4Runner with the 3.4L 5VZFE? The bottle does say it exceeds API SN spec.

The reason why I ask is because it's very hard to find a reasonably priced 0W30 here in Canada, but when Canadian Tire has their sales, their Euro version of the Pennzoil Platinum goes on sale for the same price as the normal 5W30 Platinum. I'd like to try 0W30 because of how cold our winters are.

It's fine and it won't cause any problems, if the price is right go ahead. The Euro specs are tougher, but even those oils aren't magical. As long as you don't expect it to make your quarter million mile engine run like it's brand new (it won't), you'll be alright.

The reason why I ask is because it's very hard to find a reasonably priced 0W30 here in Canada ...

You aren't looking very hard ...

Mobil 1 0w30 AFE is available EVERYWHERE, currently on sale at Walmart for $ 29.00 can per 5L jug.

Or Castrol Edge 0w30, on sale at Canadian Tire right now ...

Personally, I would just use a 5w30. The real performance difference with an 0w oil is seen at temps of -40*C or colder, but a 5w synthetic still works VERY WELL at very cold temps.

Nope. It will be the right weight when engine is hot and cold starts will have better flow. Best of both worlds. My 5VZ in 110 degree heat can care less about using 5w-30 synthetic, too.

Nope. No issues.

op,
The oil that works best for me in the same engine and more mileage (1997) is 10w30 dino. I use Chevron Supreme 10W30. my engine burns oil with 5W30 syn-blend. All original parts so it's different than yours ...
also my OM recommends 5w30 or 10w30.

Yes you can use that in your 4Runner. I used a Euro oil in mine (Mobil1 HM 10w-30 A3/B3) and it was fine. The 5VZ isn't finicky about oil. Now with SuperTech syn 5w-30 runs the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back