Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 0W-30/5W-30 Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Imp4
Because moly...
Some people are just insistent on it. Which never really made any sense to me.
Why is it that this anti wear additive is the one that many people focus on?
My question is not pointed at D1dad in particular but this example just highlights the phenomenon.

For those out there that would make a comment like this, can you please enlighten me?

Thanks!!!
cheers3.gif

Because marketing...addy mfgs have done a good job of convincing people that they need "this", so they look for "that" in their finished lube. The lack of a particular additive in a finished lube should not, in and of itself, confer inferiority. You really should be able to lean on the certs and approvals the lube carries, since you're paying for it. ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Navi
Ive seen different numbers published by Penzoil for the 5W30 like 12.1 and 13.0, but Blackstone came back with 12.38. In the past when I did VOAs I too would get different than the published numbers from Blackstone. It could be there is no way to hit an exacting viscosity number during the manufacturing process. It could also be variations in the equipment use. What type of equipment does Penzoil or Blackstone use and is it calibrated?

The various oil manufacturers quite obviously adjust the formulas without letting us know. They could adjust it 10 times in 5 years or 2 times in 5 years, but we would never know. If Penzoil did adjust the formula did they also adjust the data on the website.

Lastly the oil manufacturers might be fibbing on the numbers. They say its 13 when its really viscosity 12.5. They try to make it look more "stout" than it actually is...

As far as I can find per SAE J300 for 40C and 100C they use ASTM D445 or ASTM D7042 for the determination (like Snagglefoot posted). Each and every ASTM test has both a repeatability and reproducibility value, as well as a specified measurement tolerance. I no longer have access to the ASTM procedures but if you can find those they will give the details.

Nobody is "fibbing" on the numbers. However they may be reporting a nominal value.

Originally Posted by c5z06
When I pull up the PDF to look at the KV @ 100*C it shows 13. How old was the oil that was tested ?

Viscosity testing and Viscosity index testing is difficult to do. I've question Shell on this dierectly and they actually provided the batch test results from the refiniery to me (a memer f my car club works for Viva Energy in Australia.)

It's nothing to be worried about. If it were 9cts I'd be asking questions or atleast for a re-test to confirm finidings,

Regards
Jordan

Helix Ultra 0W30 ECTC2C3 VOA.jpg

Helix Ultra 0W30 ECTC2C3 Refinary Analysis.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by andreigbs
Yes, the Euro L applies to modern diesels as well as gas engines. Here are the relevant specs:

- BMW LL-04
- MB 229.31 and 229.51

Note that there is an additional product called Euro LX (a 0w30) which carries these specs:
- MB 229.31, 229.51, 229.52
- VW 504/507
- Porsche C30

Some might say the LX is an even better oil, it certainly is harder to find. You can generally find the Euro L on the shelf at Wal-mart.

Pretty good price meeting those specs!

Originally Posted by D1dad
Originally Posted by kschachn
I have several qts of this to use up in an 08 impala. Is the moly being so low a concern?

If it carries a needed specification or approval, why would the composition be a concern?

Wow! Thanks for answering my question with a question and literally not adding any useful info to this site..I guarantee over 13k of your posts were similar.

Well why would it be? Can you interpret an isolated molybdenum level and determine that one oil with certain specifications or approvals is better than another one with the same certs? Performance is demonstrated by certs and approvals, not decomposed compounds reported as bare elements on an ICP report.

And why make this so personal?

I saw this 'L' stuff at WalMart other day avoided it (weak sauce), ordered straight up Ultra 5/30 online for $2 less..kinda hot the Ultra wasn't on the shelves....Pennzoil has become super confusing to buy.

I have several qts of this to use up in an 08 impala. Is the moly being so low a concern?

If it carries a needed specification or approval, why would the composition be a concern?

Wow! Thanks for answering my question with a question and literally not adding any useful info to this site..I guarantee over 13k of your posts were similar.

Well why would it be? Can you interpret an isolated molybdenum level and determine that one oil with certain specifications or approvals is better than another one with the same certs? Performance is demonstrated by certs and approvals, not decomposed compounds reported as bare elements on an ICP report.

And why make this so personal?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by dblshock
I saw this 'L' stuff at WalMart other day avoided it (weak sauce), ordered straight up Ultra 5/30 online for $2 less..kinda hot the Ultra wasn't on the shelves....Pennzoil has become super confusing to buy.

Just remove any confusion and buy a jug that has some sort of "Platinum" on it. No need for Euro tags if the vehicle is of the 0/5w/20/30 variety and gas-only engine.
You are then good-to-go.

I like the Euro tags when 40w is entered-in. My Colorado uses Castrol Euro 0w40.

They may be using an organic FM that doesn't show up on a VOA. There are other oils on the market that utilize alternatives to moly, for example Castrol uses Titanium and Ravenol uses Tungsten.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

They may be using an organic FM that doesn't show up on a VOA. There are other oils on the market that utilize alternatives to moly, for example Castrol uses Titanium and Ravenol uses Tungsten.

Correct, a VOA doesn't tell the whole story, not even close.

Originally Posted by zeng
[Linked Image]

I'm not sure what you are saying with those graphs, are you implying that the ZDDP levels are being reduced and not replaced with any additive that performs a similar function?

Ref. Overkill's post.

If I read these graphs correctly, it seems like higher amounts of moly reduced the coefficient of friction ... higher is better but 200ppm seems to be the sweet spot and a good return based on these graphs.

Not sure about x-axis (Time) and what it really means and why only 60 min. Also not saying these graphs mean anything and/or are accurate ... just how I interpret/read them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back