Pennzoil Platinum darker out of 5qt than 1 qt. Hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker here and this is my first post. I was changing the oil in my 2011 Ram 1500 this morning and noticed that the oil in the 5 qt jug was substantially darker and felt slightly thicker than what was coming out of the 1 qt bottles. As per human nature I smelled it, it smelled the same, only thing is the previously mentioned differences. Anyone ever notice something like this before? The bottles had never been opened and the labels all say 5w/20. I can't say that I have ever noticed this before but maybe I was just paying a lot more attention this morning. Anyway, I love this site and I tell everyone I know that cares about such things about it.

The opening on the mouths are of a substantially different size. The oil stream will easily look darker and thicker if there's more volume coming out. Even changing light conditions and backdrop can affect this. For example transmission fluid may look black when draining but with even a little light in the backdrop it can turn clear red.

Are you sure that isn't what you saw?

Originally Posted By: HemiBenny
Long time lurker here and this is my first post. I was changing the oil in my 2011 Ram 1500 this morning and noticed that the oil in the 5 qt jug was substantially darker and felt slightly thicker than what was coming out of the 1 qt bottles. As per human nature I smelled it, it smelled the same, only thing is the previously mentioned differences. Anyone ever notice something like this before? The bottles had never been opened and the labels all say 5w/20. I can't say that I have ever noticed this before but maybe I was just paying a lot more attention this morning. Anyway, I love this site and I tell everyone I know that cares about such things about it.

Formula change and they can occur on a whim. One or more of the additive ingredients may have been missed - out-of-stock or or increased.

Stuff happens all the time and in order to keep production up to snuff, changes occur. I wouldn't sweat it, unless you notice a significant change in noise, usage or begin to see smoke. The differences could also turn out to improve lubricity and use less.

Did you forget to shake the oil?
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
The opening on the mouths are of a substantially different size. The oil stream will easily look darker and thicker if there's more volume coming out. Even changing light conditions and backdrop can affect this. For example transmission fluid may look black when draining but with even a little light in the backdrop it can turn clear red.

That's what I'd say. W/O pouring them off into glass containers and doing a side by side comparison, then checking the viscosity, what they poured like and looked like streaming out of bottles two different sizes doesn't tell much.

You can tell viscosity of an oil being poured about as accurately as the speed of a jet flying past while breaking the sound barrier. ALL manufacturing has some variability in it, color of a mixed liquid probably has about 10,000 different variables that can affect your visible perception while having ZERO effect on the actual liquid. Welcome to the site, but color alone is not something that will affect your oil, especially a robust brand such as Pennzoil. Shake first, pour gently, and enjoy some of the best bang-for-the-buck protection available.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe

Yeah, I poured a small sample from each into identical clear containers and they were substantially different in color.

Formula change and they can occur on a whim. One or more of the additive ingredients may have been missed - out-of-stock or or increased.

Stuff happens all the time and in order to keep production up to snuff, changes occur. I wouldn't sweat it, unless you notice a significant change in noise, usage or begin to see smoke. The differences could also turn out to improve lubricity and use less. [/quote]

Yeah, I'm not sweating it, that's why it's still in my oil pan at the moment. Lol I figure it's probably a manufacturing deal but I have just never noticed that much of a difference in color from one bottle to another before.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Hey hemi, what are the production codes and are the specs on the 2 bottles the same?

I didn't look at that and the bottles have been turned in for recycling already. I'm believing it's a manufacturing deal, but as I stated earlier, I've just never noticed such drastic differences in color from one bottle to another of the same brand and viscosity of oil. I probably just never paid that much attention before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back