Pennzoil Platinum BITOG approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Concerning oil,
Any of the major oil brands will work just fine if used according to vehicle specs. Are there small differences here and there? Yes, and those are discussed on here all the time. But your avg JiffyLube customer just wants the oil changed, so would never know the difference.

This is something I have to keep reminding myself. My customers aren't car people. They're "put in gas and it goes" people. When I show people filthy cabin filters and other things that I wouldn't tolerate for even a moment and they say no to replacing it, It's how I keep myself under control. They simply don't know any better.

Sounds like you would be much better off running or working at a quality independent that has a local customer base acquired through word of mouth / reputation.

If you go this route, beware the independents who try to give the impression that this is what they are.

Originally Posted By: jiffydarren
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
@Jiffy.. What are your OCI on your personal vehicles?

3k on everything... My cvpi and my c50 boulevard.

You should definitely check out the uoa forum!

Found this using google.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1453113

welcome2.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

You should definitely check out the uoa forum!

Found this using google.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1453113

welcome2.gif

-Dennis

I appreciate the information! However I am just one of those who likes to change their oil very very frequently. In my opinion, you can't change your oil too often.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14

I'm curious on why you choose that interval? How many months does it take you to get to 3k miles?

I guess its just because that's how I've always done it since I started driving... It just makes sense to me. It takes me about 4 months... More in the summer for my car because I ride my c50, and I ride my c50 about 6000 miles each summer.

Yes you can. It's unnecessary and wasteful.

I don't look at it as being wasteful from an oil standpoint... I look at it as a protecting my investment standpoint.

I don't look at it as being wasteful from an oil standpoint... I look at it as a protecting my investment standpoint.

How are you protecting your investment by dumping oil that has more than enough life in it to go at least double what you are currently doing? As long as the oil has life in it, you cannot protect it any further.

The Jiffylube succession planning people probably have a note on your file that you were already doing 3000 mile oil changes before you worked for them. Executive potential!

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

How are you protecting your investment by dumping oil that has more than enough life in it to go at least double what you are currently doing? As long as the oil has life in it, you cannot protect it any further.

Exactly.

And it's interesting to see you've convinced yourself of something else.
I'd love to hear the reasoning for excessive oil changes like that.
If you don't mind sharing that is.

TIA

The Jiffylube succession planning people probably have a note on your file that you were already doing 3000 mile oil changes before you worked for them. Executive potential!

But he's going to have to drop it to 2000 miles if he really wants a promotion.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

You mean, other than OCD? Let's face it, all of us here have joined BITOG because we are OCD about oil to some extent.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Let's face it, all of us here have joined BITOG because we are OCD about oil to some extent.
smile.gif

Guilty as charged
grin.gif

Yes you can. It's unnecessary and wasteful.

I encourage you to stay on the forum and read, read, read. 3k oil changes are a thing of the past except in the most grueling applications (turbos, track days). Oil formulations, and engine management, have come a long way since the 80's, when changing every 3k might be prudent. Of course the 3k change is good for business, which I can understand. Personally, I've gone from 5k changes to as far as 8k, with plenty of active additive left(tbn) to go even further. And I would, if it were not for my towering oil stash.

For what it's worth I've used Sopus oil almost exclusively since 40k in the Accord and the engine continues to purr right along at 140k miles.

Your Crown Vic PI probably had 3K oil changes if it was once a police car... because 3K on a police car includes hundreds of hours idling, and the hours on the oil is more equivalent to 6K-9K miles on a normal car.

If you don't idle for hours at the donut shop or the 7-11, or race or tow, I don't see the point in your 3K oil change. A single UOA will inform you. Get a VOA first, to see how little the difference is.

Let's face it, all of us here have joined BITOG because we are OCD about oil to some extent.
smile.gif

Guilty as charged
grin.gif

Um... yeah, very OCD. (arm raised)

Getting back to the OP's question, my car specs a 5w/20 oil that meets Ford's WSS-M2C945-A standard. Pennzoil Platinum is the only widely-available oil that claims it "exceeds" this and other specifications. Most others will only claim to "meet" or "meet or exceed". As this is printed on the bottle bought by consumers, I think it's worth something beyond hype.

Plus, Platinum has the lowest Noack volatility of any readily-available xw/20 I can find. While low volatility is not the only measure of an oil's quality, it does suggest a good base stock.

So, yes, Pennzoil Platinum is a really good oil. Maybe not as good as the "old" formula Ultra, but good nonetheless.

But he's going to have to drop it to 2000 miles if he really wants a promotion.

Ha.

Anyway as others have said it's an OCD thing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back