Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 or Quaker State UD 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any advantages with the Pure Plus technology? Compared to Quaker State ultimate Durability?

Both on sale PP $33 for 5L and QSUD $6.19 a qt

I tend to go for QSUD, any opinions or difference between the two?

Pure Plus should be superior , and i would give PP the slight edge on the additive package since its their higher tier product. If price was equal, PP is the no brainer winner..

They are both owned/made by Shell oil co. The Penzoil says it is made from natural gas-not that that matters-but I suspect that would require a special "cracking unit" and be more expensive. The QS is probably baseIII with special/same? additives like Castrol and now mobil 1.I would think you could not go wrong with any/either of these-providing your oil change interval does not go too long. (the key to long engine life). MY opinion is 3-3.5k regular petroleum, 4.5-5k semi-synthetic, 6-7k full synthetic. Have had many high milage engines-so I will stick to that.

I suspect that these oils use exactly the same GTL basestocks.
I can't prove that, but I'd put money on it.
We'll never know, since SOPUS will never tell us.

Originally Posted By: wemay
In their Q&A, Pennzoil advise QS is not GTL (for now).

SOPUS has shown continual difficulties in matching the reported specs of their products with the capabilities of what's on the shelves.
Good examples can be found in the PQIA VOAs of PYB and QSGB.
Both oils showed specs that would put many name-brand synthetics to shame.
What basestocks did they have?
Good bet they weren't Grp II.
The name is not always the game.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: wemay
In their Q&A, Pennzoil advise QS is not GTL (for now).

SOPUS has shown continual difficulties in matching the reported specs of their products with the capabilities of what's on the shelves.
Good examples can be found in the PQIA VOAs of PYB and QSGB.
Both oils showed specs that would put many name-brand synthetics to shame.
What basestocks did they have?
Good bet they weren't Grp II.
The name is not always the game.

Good point...Both those 5w20's (QSGB/PYB) showed syn Noack levels...

Neither one will allow anything to happen that the other one would've prevented. Either one will protect your engine until the car falls apart around it.

If you prefer QSUD, then get it. If you want to try PP, then get it. Both are excellent oils, so you can't go wrong.

+1
Practically speaking, the two are interchangable, as would be every other synthetic on the shelf.
Any one of them would work well in an engine for which an API SN oil is recommended.

Originally Posted By: kawzak
They are both owned/made by Shell oil co. The Penzoil says it is made from natural gas-not that that matters-but I suspect that would require a special "cracking unit" and be more expensive. The QS is probably baseIII with special/same? additives like Castrol and now mobil 1.I would think you could not go wrong with any/either of these-providing your oil change interval does not go too long. (the key to long engine life). MY opinion is 3-3.5k regular petroleum, 4.5-5k semi-synthetic, 6-7k full synthetic. Have had many high milage engines-so I will stick to that.

Ummmm whether gtl or not both are using group 3 basestocks,so your comment puzzles me.

Op

As far as marketing goes sopus wants us to believe platinum is a cut above qsud however in service I seriously doubt a person,or lab could tell us a difference.
Both are very high quality so either flip a coin or let cost be your guide.

Both oils are the same. Pennzoil is just a more popular brand which is why it got the "PurePlus" marketing hype. I can guarantee that Shell is using GTL basestocks in the QSUD by now because it's cheaper than crude Group3. If they used it in some batches of PYB & QSGB then for sure it'll be in the QSUD, but it just won't be listed on the label.

AFAIK, Pennzoil & QS brands only exist in north america. The rest of the world just gets Shell branded oil. Shell is wasting millions in marketing for both Pennzoil & QS just to compete with themselves, makes no sense! I think Shell wants to slowly kill off the QS brand because quite frankly there is no need for it.

Both oils are absolutely interchangeable, as far as I'm concerned. There certainly are arguments about the redundancy, but do recall that both brand names have strong, loyal followings. Shell does very well in the conventional oil market in North America, and that's thanks to the acquisition of the Pennzoil and Quaker State names, not because of how they market Formula Shell.

Killing off or selling the QS brand would be a monumental mistake.

The additive packs are different on Pennzoil and Quaker State. Even if QSUD uses some of the same base stock it will be different from PurePlus which is Shell's top of the line globally.

Originally Posted By: PFinch
The additive packs are different on Pennzoil and Quaker State.

I "believe" they're different oils, but from a scientific perspective, I don't see a lot of evidence of that. Quaker State and Pennzoil products, at least in a cheap VOA, have numbers that are within the error bars of each other, and the same goes for Formula Shell. Johnny said they're different, and I believe him. But, the evidence for either case is sorely lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back