Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 or Quaker State UD 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I believe they are different too. This may sound biased, but I don't believe Shell is going to market three different oil brands that are all the same. To me, FS, QS, and Pennzoil reflect that in their respective price points. Also, PQIA's breakdown of the add packs shows the different formulations. I do believe the are sharing the GTL base stocks though.

Count me in!! I got a brand new fill of Quaker State full synthetic in the Buick today. By the sound of the engine, I think I'm gonna like this oil. The sound of a dragonfly buzzing by makes more noise than my Buick does now.
grin.gif
I was gonna try Mobil 1 or PP, but I only had $34 in my pocket and I wanted to get 6 quarts. Couldn't afford Mobil 1 today.
grin.gif

I'm on the verge of making the same decision. I have a 13 f150 5.0, and have been using pennzoil ultra 5w20 at 5k change intervals. None of the stores nearby are carrying the new ultra with pure plus, so I'm trying to choose between these two oils. I do a lot of short trip driving, is there any advantage of one over the other in this scenario? Thanks.

QSUD hasn't failed me yet. For the price-point and how well it works for my application, it's what I'm sticking with. I might try the newer formula PP at some point just for S&G's, however. That'll have to wait until after I try PYB (which will be after approximately 5500 miles, as I just changed my oil recently lol)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/pennzoil-q-a/

Scroll down to "Other Shell Products"

Q:
1. Have GTL basestocks been blended into SOPUS products across the line?

A:
PurePlus™ base oil is primarily used in our Pennzoil Platinum® line of products. However, in the future other engine oils in our portfolio may contain a percentage of PurePlus™ base oil, if required for a specific formulation. Products in the remainder of the Pennzoil portfolio will broadly continue to use conventional base oils as their primary base oil.

Both are very strong products.. QSUD is a deal at $21 for a 5 at container at walmart. And the PP is very reasonably priced at $26 for same size. Finding Pennzoil ultra is like finding a alpine colored deer in the woods anymore. They exist but actually finding one is very unlikely. Pennzoil just royally messed up somehow with their advertising of the Ultra. Great product that fell really flat upon release. I ran it in my Altima and I really enjoyed thought it performed really well. But it disappeared at WM and none of the auto parts stores really carried the Ultra. So now it is quite hard to come by.

It's interesting that Ultra platinum is not available in some provinces.

I crossed the border for Detroit auto show 2 months ago and grabbed 4 jugs of Ultra platinum, but it's not available in NY.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Both oils are the same. Pennzoil is just a more popular brand which is why it got the "PurePlus" marketing hype. I can guarantee that Shell is using GTL basestocks in the QSUD by now because it's cheaper than crude Group3. If they used it in some batches of PYB & QSGB then for sure it'll be in the QSUD, but it just won't be listed on the label.

You are right.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4340223#Post4340223

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Pennzoil seems to clean better in my professional ocd opinion
How so?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Pennzoil seems to clean better in my professional ocd opinion
How so?

Hope you're not expecting a response to this...

According to http://www.pqiadata.org/QuakerState5W30dexos.html motor oil Quaker State Ultimaty Durability 0W-20 has 252ppm of Moly.
I found also "alkylthiocarbamide molybdenium complex" (EC 457-320-2) in MSDS of Quaker state Ultimate Durability.

I should be very grateful if someone describes the pros and cons of this additive relative MoDTC , used in Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Platinum (50 ppm of Moly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back