Pennzoil Platinum 5W20, 8000 miles, 2005 Crown Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my last UOA for my 2005 Crown Victoria from September. The lab I had this done at seems to think a Crown Victoria has a diesel engine in it when I clearly indicated it doesn't. Oh well, I got the UOA for free from one of the local oil reps otherwise I would have normally used Blackstone....hard to beat free.

Anyways, the oil filter used on this run was an K&N HP2010 and the air filter is a Pureone. I am thinking that I may need to change the air filter since the silicon is up slightly compared to the previous run of 5K on the Mobil Super Synthetic 0W20 (which I have a UOA posted on here as well). I am leaning towards the higher sodium levels being from the previous oil run of MSS and expect it to drop once I change out the current 5W20 PP and Wix combo. What do you guys think?

My question is how far could I run on my current fill? I have roughly 6600 miles on it. I am thinking 9K or maybe 10K and then taking a sample again since I have one more free UOA left. I am very satisfied with the performance of PP and WIX filters; no start-up noises and a very quiet running engine. My next fill will be PP 0W20 or PU 5W20 with a WIX or K&N but I am leaning towards the 0W20 since it'll be getting colder here soon and I'm itching to try it.

Enjoy the report and thanks for your input!

OilReport2.png

Thats Polaris Labs, and I prefer them over BlackStone, though the information sheet you fill out is most confusing. I had trouble figuring it out.
Create a horizon account http://www.eoilreports.com/ and then you can fix the information on the car so the next one is correct.
I would say try 10k.

Last edited:
Wow, they say (Total) Base Number is low, but for 8k, 3.67 is great.

A lot of folks say it is not a linear drop, so you could take it to 1.0, which I think means a minimum of 3k more. What do others think?

They said the base number is slightly low, it can definitely do 10k on the next fill. Anything further then that would be pushing it but 10 should be fine.

Originally Posted By: jorton
I think this lab uses a different test method for Total Base number than Blackstone uses. Lower limit is 4.00.

^This. 3.0 with that method is basically 1.0 with the other method.

Originally Posted By: bds1984
Anyways, the oil filter used on this run was an K&N HP2010 and the air filter is a Pureone. I am thinking that I may need to change the air filter since the silicon is up slightly compared to the previous run of 5K on the Mobil Super Synthetic 0W20 (which I have a UOA posted on here as well).

I ran Motorcraft air filters in my FX4 for a few changes, then switched to NAPA Gold filters. The silicon dropped from 19/20PPM to 11/12PPM; you may want to give one of those a try and see if it helps.

Originally Posted By: bds1984
I am leaning towards the higher sodium levels being from the previous oil run of MSS and expect it to drop once I change out the current 5W20 PP and Wix combo. What do you guys think?

I think the sodium levels are from the MSS and since the potassium is zero, you have no worries there about coolant. If you continue with the PP, the sodium will continue to drop until it hits zero.

I would think you could easily get 10-12k miles out of this load, if it performs similar to the one posted here.

Keep extending out; get your value out of your fluids.

If you want some very detailed analysis of the 4.6L engine, check out my article and you'll see a very specific breakdown of how this engine performs in a broad based market. Generally, this engine really does not care what lube you use, nor how you use it, as long as it's a properly spec'd fluid using a decent filter. You're not going to appreciably shift the wear pattern one way or another using premium products, so to get your value out of the investment, you really need to extend the OCIs pretty far.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Originally Posted By: jorton
I think this lab uses a different test method for Total Base number than Blackstone uses. Lower limit is 4.00.

^This. 3.0 with that method is basically 1.0 with the other method.

I forgot about that.

I have a couple Purolator air filters left so I will stick with them for now and then try the NAPA one. Seeing how the last UOA I did on a 5k run of MSS turned up the same result of 11ppm of silicon, I think an 8k run with the same result isn't bad at all.

I'm going to re-sample at 8k again in another week or two and send it to Blackstone and compare the results. The only difference will be I am using a WIX filter compared to the K&N. My only expectation will be the sodium levels dropping off just like you've pointed out.

If 4.0 is considered low by Polaris' scale, then I think I'll leave the interval at 8k and wait until my next report comes in to make any further determination on extending the run; it's not like I don't have enough in my stash anyways. Overall, I am feeling satisfied with this last report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back