Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 TDS

I emailed SOPUS the other day to get a technical data sheet for Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. The one on their website has been encrypted for a year or longer now.

PP 5W-30 is one thin 30 grade.

Attachments

• 74D1A7CF-B9BA-45DE-B982-B40828D83AC3.jpg
    74D1A7CF-B9BA-45DE-B982-B40828D83AC3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 763
I agree with you, @The Critic. But it also does reduce the amount of applications I'd consider it for. Some vehicles seem more suited for a thicker 30 grade, while others (especially TGDI vehicles that call for a 20 grade) would be more open to this thinner 30 grade.

I agree with you, @The Critic. But it also does reduce the amount of applications I'd consider it for. Some vehicles seem more suited for a thicker 30 grade, while others (especially TGDI vehicles that call for a 20 grade) would be more open to this thinner 30 grade.
The HTHS is a better determining factor than KV. I think you'll find that most of the SP/GF-6 5W-30's are 3.0-3.2 anyway; in other words, no significant difference.

The HTHS is a better determining factor than KV. I think you'll find that most of the SP/GF-6 5W-30's are 3.0-3.2 anyway; in other words, no significant difference.
Good point. I was thinking along the lines of a known fuel diluter that you want to finish in the 20 grade range at the end of its OCI. If you start too thick maybe it ends up >9.2. Or is that pretty insignificant too?

The KV is relevant in relation to the HTHS. For example, an oil with a KV100 of 9.8 cSt and HTHS of 3.2 cP is more appealing than an oil with a KV100 of 11.0 cSt and HTHS of 3.2 cP.

Pennzoil Platinum is formulated with GTL which is only available in low viscosities. Therefore, it's likely easier for them to formulate it on the lower side of a 30 grade so as to not use much VII and PPD in the end product. I would rather the initial viscosity be lower to accommodate a more stable base oil rather than "artificially inflated" (for lack of better terminology) higher viscosity oil that is less shear stable.

Good point. I was thinking along the lines of a known fuel diluter that you want to finish in the 20 grade range at the end of its OCI. If you start too thick maybe it ends up >9.2. Or is that pretty insignificant too?
Not sure, but my guess.....it is immaterial.

Ran it last winter in my G5; and it was a very cold winter - lots of mornings below -25C. Car does not get plugged in.
It surprised me just how easy to start the car was every time, fired right up with no valvetrain noise or drama ever.
That low viscosity does have its benefits!

No offense, but there was a time where Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra seemed like the best oils out there, but IMO they have seemed to have cheapened there oils.
Is there really proof of this? I have heard many repeat this, but no proof. Seems to work well in the cars and trucks that I use it in.

Sometimes an oil comes out and the specs via the SDS look great and then a year or two later the oil specs do not look that good. Meaning that the formulation has changed.

Safety Data Sheet and VOA's on various Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra, and now Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Every oil that has been talked about on this Forum has had its ups and downs.
I asked for proof that Pennzoil had cheapened their oils, and you can’t seem to provide any. It’s ok, it gets repeated a lot on here.

I asked for proof that Pennzoil had cheapened their oils, and you can’t seem to provide any. It’s ok, it gets repeated a lot on here.
I see what you are saying, maybe I should have worded it different, I once thought Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra were the best oils out there. Then I read what I read here, and I was turned onto a different oil and I like that oil better.

drtyler, 1 thing we must all do is be open minded, this Forum is here to discuss everything about motor oils and sometimes we do not agree on things here.

I see what you are saying, maybe I should have worded it different, I once thought Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra were the best oils out there. Then I read what I read here, and I was turned onto a different oil and I like that oil better.

drtyler, 1 thing we must all do is be open minded, this Forum is here to discuss everything about motor oils and sometimes we do not agree on things here.
I’m really not agreeing or disagreeing, just trying to understand why people think that about Pennzoil. I use it often and have no issues, but I am not cornered to any one brand either.

I have asked others who state similar about Pennzoil, and nobody will provide any sort of answer. Its like a myth began, and folks ran with it. Happens a lot, unfortunately.

I’m really not agreeing or disagreeing, just trying to understand why people think that about Pennzoil. I use it often and have no issues, but I am not cornered to any one brand either.

I have asked others who state similar about Pennzoil, and nobody will provide any sort of answer. Its like a myth began, and folks ran with it. Happens a lot, unfortunately.

There is no myth here, elsewhere there is, I have used PP and PU and my engine was fine with either oil. Pennzoil Ultra came out and when it was questioned a certain member on this Forum got upset. When someone gets upset then there is something going on, I do understand that we really go bonkers about motor oil.

I will put something out there, I have used PP, PU, and PUP and I really could not tell a difference, but the oil I am using now I think is better.

Maybe another explanation about oil could be, if you are going to keep a car to 100K or 200K then maybe it does not matter what oil you use.

The trend could be that people who are going to keep there cars forever or really want the best Motor oils for there car will look to boutique oils.

Back