Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 5350 km F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently sent another oil analysis in on my 2018 F150 with 3.5 EcoBoost.

I have switched to Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic, & this sample is from the 2nd oil change after switching brands. Decided to go with an oil recommended for Turbocharged engines, Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil.

Happy to see that my fuel dilution is lower than some of the previous samples, with the cold weather we were getting in February, & increased idle/ warm up times. I also sent in a new Virgin oil sample for the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30.
I sent another duplicate sample from this oil change to Blackstone labs for comparison, to see if they are able to pickup any fuel dilution.

5350 km on oil change, 27866 kilometers on engine

Code

Aluminum 3

Chromium 1

Copper 8

Iron 10

Tin 0

Lead 1

Silicon 6

Molybdenum 60

Nickel 0

Silver 0

Potassium 1

Sodium 5

Boron 130 (Lower Reportable)

Barium 0

Calcium 700

Magnesium 577

Manganese 1

Phosphorous 466

Zinc 472

Visc 40C 47.5

Visc 100C 9.0

Visc Index 174

Fuel % 3.0 (Lower Reportable)

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 105
  • 0 bytes · Views: 114
Last edited:
calcium looks low
and we all know that builds strong bones
lol.gif

Originally Posted by ZZman
Some of those numbers look awfully low.

Short oil change interval.

Originally Posted by CT8

4 OCIs in the equivilant of 17k miles .... the "longest" being 3300 miles .... with syns no less .... (insert sigh here)

Another so-so report for Pennzoil with low mileage.

Metals look fine considering the engine is still fairly new.

Fuel dilution for the winter temperatures up here and our terrible fuel we have during the winter makes sense.
I'm seeing similar numbers in port injected / direct injected vehicles I maintain over the same amount of miles.

You might want to take your personal details off the reports.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MParr
Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 is a little on the thin side for my liking.

Not for the OP and his latitude

Originally Posted by parshisa
what exactly is "so-so" about the report?

In 5,000km (3,000 miles) it has used 1/3 of the calcium, Molly dropped by 1/4, Boron is almost 1/2, and Zinc is almost 1/2 and it dropped 0.8cst as well.

That doesn't bode well for vehicles with OLM's that push those OCI's a lot further. Fine in this OCI for the OP but I wouldn't want to run it out to say an FCA OLM of up to 16,000km (10K miles).
31.gif

IMO another oil would be better suited for much longer runs in this engine and it seems to add to the pattern of PP UOA's in large part I have looked at here where they are fine for lower OCI's but not longer ones.
Their add-pack is WEAK IMO for the longer haul OCI's in a lot of applications (not all).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by parshisa
what exactly is "so-so" about the report?

In 5,000km (3,000 miles) it has used 1/3 of the calcium, Molly dropped by 1/4, Boron is almost 1/2, and Zinc is almost 1/2.
That doesn't bode well for vehicles with OLM's that push those OCI's a lot further. Fine in this OCI for the OP but I wouldn't want to run it out to say an FCA OLM of up to 16,000km (10K miles).
31.gif

IMO another oil would be better suited for much longer runs in this engine and it seems to add to the pattern of PP UOA's in large part I have looked at here where they are fine for lower OCI's but not longer ones.
Their add-pack is WEAK IMO for the longer haul OCI's in a lot of applications (not all).

+1

In 5,000km (3,000 miles) it has used 1/3 of the calcium, Molly dropped by 1/4, Boron is almost 1/2, and Zinc is almost 1/2 and it dropped 0.8cst as well.

Somebody who knows more about how that works should explain how elements get "used" up during an OCI and disappear from the analysis.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Somebody who knows more about how that works should explain how additives get "used" up during an OCI and disappear from the analysis.

I'm not saying they shouldn't get used up, it's the low rate of mileage and the rate they were used up that is the issue when compared to other oils.

I'm not saying they shouldn't get used up, it's the low rate of mileage and the rate they were used up that is the issue when compared to other oils.

Well what I meant is that I don't understand how the metallic elements disappear from the oil. I do understand that some of them such as the zinc compounds might get "plated" onto the surfaces of the engine, but all of them? Even if the chemical compounds are somehow used up/degraded and are rendered ineffective, the metallic atoms would still show up at the same level in the ICP analysis.

For example, where is the calcium going? Even if the engine was burning or leaking oil the relative concentration in PPM would remain constant.

Oh I see what you are getting at. Maybe evaporation through the PCV?

No, all the metallic additives would not preferentially evaporate out of the oil. I've never seen anything that shows that, have you?

As the additives go so does the oil. Even if the hydrocarbons were "distilling" out they wouldn't take the additives with them. In that case the concentration would increase, not decrease.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Originally Posted by CT8

4 OCIs in the equivilant of 17k miles .... the "longest" being 3300 miles .... with syns no less .... (insert sigh here)

Somebody who knows more about how that works should explain how additives get "used" up during an OCI and disappear from the analysis.[/quote]
I'm not saying they shouldn't get used up, it's the low rate of mileage and the rate they were used up that is the issue when compared to other oils.[/quote]

Yes, I have been running a short OCI.

Trying to control a fuel dilution issue. The initial oil change was showing almost 8.5 % fuel dilution, (sample was sent to a different lab)

My IOLM was around 60% life remaining, which I probably could have extended, with the wear materials being low, but worried about the viscosity drop if fuel dilution was higher.

Yes I am concerned about the depleted additive pack, would like to know how it disappears.

Last edited:
5% and below is acceptable IMO not to increase wear so you are doing the right thing in the short-term until you can figure out why the fuel dilution is happening. I'd be interested to see if the majority of yours is related to the Winter-Blend fuel coupled with running richer more often because it's colder. It has been my experience in the vehicles I maintain anyway. We don't get nearly as cold as you do in SK for as long as you do during the winter.

Once they flip over to Summer fuel it should be a couple of weeks at a busy station that the tanks should be rid of all the winter fuel and then you can run a few tanks of summer fuel in your ride before checking it again. (If you want to).

Last edited:
That power intensity of motor in Oz or other non CAFE place ? … Bet it'd be on an X40 … So, if I was changing it that often that gives a weather window to roll with a 0w40 for one OCI and see where it becomes a 30 … go a bit more …
My 3.5L eb was noticeably quieter when I stepped up … so assumed those 10m long chains got happy …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back