Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20, 5025 miles, 2007 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last_Z, we offer closed cup testing because our premium service is derived from a formulating screen I use in our professional consulting. It biases the data to the critical as I want the best and most accurate data when working with a engine,trans,or oil development program. It another quality attribute the Dyson customer gets over the others.

Flash testing in general and usually open cup was designed for shipping volatility calculations originally, not motor oil stability.

My customers don't care that most of the oil marketers use open cup flash because it looks better in print! They want a ball busting stable oil formula in their engines.

Blackstone has corrected the issues with the flash reading as best I can tell and when I work a BKlabs test I calculate the fuel using our own formulas.

As far as not sharing my proprietary commentary and conclusions, I have two choices to protect my core business with the consumer level testing, contain the data and share what I can with my trusted customers or share nothing but raw data and give you the ---- cookie cutter conclusion most offer.

Instead thinking out of the box......I now offer a MP3 audio file interpretation and allow ALL the printed data to be posted or shared with whomever desires to see or post it.

Everyone who can listen to a audio file on their computer seems to enjoy the interactive approach taken a few degrees higher!

Terry

mike please do a search on my name or fuel dilute and dig in a bit, no need to waste bandwidth and no time here to rehash the issues. it is a real problem.

sorry terry, thats just it. its hard to sort through all of the mess.... i guess my only real question is how do you fix this problem? shorter oci's?

I understand and when I helped form this place with Bob WInters the idea was to inform and educate. You'll have to take some time to do that right.

I use oil analysis to consult and essentially tune to correct with many different tools. If I see your data I can help. If we can't correct the majority of the problem then I can give you some AMMO to head back to the maker to correct under warranty. Lord forbid you have to hire me or anyone else to custom blend a motor oil to hold up for the application.

Terry

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Continously closed cup flash testing is defined by ASTM D 6450 and is easily re produceable by any lab using the method. MANY do. Maybe just not what you are aware of ?

Our FTIR work for aromatics content and fuel dilute reads the appropriate spectrum like ANY OTHER lab with the time and interest to calibrate for those areas.

That's an obvious attempt to mislead. Why do you do this so often? You know that:
1. Most posted UOAs are by Blackstone (our minds are trained to their trends)
2. Blackstone's fuel and flash methods differ from those used by the lab you use

Nothing misleading about it. Blackstone uses open cup and they extrapolate fuel % based on their flashpoint results. This is far less accurate than actually checking for fuel signature in the spectrograph.

Good post.
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back