Nitration 12
Water (KF - ppm) 467
TBN 4.5
Fuel 1.60
Soot .14
Glycol/Coolant 0.09
Viscosity Index 138
Sulfate Byproducts 21

Yeah, fuel dilution seems to have dropped the flash point a lot.

What were the comments on the analysis?

Not sure on the break in period, but doesn't iron, copper, and silicon seem a little high? What are the averages?

It does include an interpretation, but Terry asks that you not share that aspect of the report. The numbers are fine, but his thoughts on the numbers are propriatary.

Yes he did mention the fuel dilution. It is not the end of the world, but he did mention several negative effects of it seen in the UOA and it should be corrected.
Problem is I'm not so sure how. The standard remedy does not seem to have worked if my MPG is any indication. We'll see if it goes back up like it did last time with fresh oil. I'll also wait for the next UOA to say for certain.

Thank You for posting this. I recently put PP 5w20 in my 2007 corolla 5 speed. Looks like your driving more than me, so soon we could have multiple reports for this combo.
smile.gif
My report was from blackstone, and I will probably do the next one there too.

Have you done any other UOAs for comparison?

Good choice. Looking forward to seeing your UOA too. What kind of MPG are you getting?

This is the only UOA so far. I didn't do one this past oil change, but I will on next one in a couple months.

Good grief...there seems to be a "fuel dilute epidemic" out there!

As a former owner of one of these cars (03 Corolla), the wear numbers are indeed high and fuel is off the scale compared to every other 1ZZ-FE report I've ever seen.
It seems you have some dirt making it past the air filter....27ppm is way too high. Check your intake system....something is up. You may also have an exhaust leak somewhere, causing a "rich" condition. Had that happened to my old Z28 LS1 and gave me a nice 2.0% fuel in the oil; not to mention horrendous backfires!

Iron should have been more like 5-7ppm, Silicon 10-15ppm, Al 2-3ppm and copper should be no more than 10ppm, if my memory serves me right. Search out other Corolla reports.

Rick

The lab Dyson uses measures both flashpoint (closed cup) and fuel dilution (FTIR) with different methods than most other labs do. The result is lower flashpoints and higher fuel dilution levels. Keep this in mind when comparing these values to UOAs from other labs.

I believe I'm correct but if not, somebody say so.

So that means the flashpoint in this report of 280*F would actually be higher using Blackstone's method and fuel dilution would be lower? As if this isn't complicated enough! Either way, these numbers are bad enough that even adjusted to Blackstone standards, it would still show as a problem; IMO.

PLEASE JAG, do me a favor and do not make blanket statements for DysonAnalysis. The caps are really irritating as if you are a sage or something....town crier...
smile.gif
I am sure your intentions are good but relax a bit with the announcement format.

Continously closed cup flash testing is defined by ASTM D 6450 and is easily re produceable by any lab using the method. MANY do. Maybe just not what you are aware of ?

Our FTIR work for aromatics content and fuel dilute reads the appropriate spectrum like ANY OTHER lab with the time and interest to calibrate for those areas.

Our fuels readings are accurate and if other labs show more or less then maybe they need to recalibrate or interpret differently. MOST labs are not taking the time to do either one of those for automotive applications because they can't pay the freight if they did.

Keep in mind I use the TOTAL data to interpret fuels dilute not just two testing data points.

Terry

1Diesel: integrated area from 815 to 805 cm-1 minus integrated baselines 1) 780 to 760 cm-1 and 2) 805
to 795 cm-1. Results are reported in Abs/0.1 mm

2Gasoline: integrated area from 755 to 745 cm-1 minus integrated baselines 1) 780 to 760 cm-1 and 2)
750 to 730 cm-1. Results are reported in abs/0.1 mm

Quote:

Continously closed cup flash testing is defined by ASTM D 6450 and is easily re produceable by any lab using the method. MANY do. Maybe just not what you are aware of ?

Our FTIR work for aromatics content and fuel dilute reads the appropriate spectrum like ANY OTHER lab with the time and interest to calibrate for those areas.

That's an obvious attempt to mislead. Why do you do this so often? You know that:
1. Most posted UOAs are by Blackstone (our minds are trained to their trends)
2. Blackstone's fuel and flash methods differ from those used by the lab you use

Well...back to the UOA. Since this oil saw 5K miles in ~3 months I am assuming that these were mostly highway miles. Is that a true statement? Also, how many oil changes has your Toyota seen before this one and what type(s) of oil were used? As for the fuel dilution, is the original air filter still in the vehicle? Did the car spend a lot of time idling?

Quote:

Quote:

That's an obvious attempt to mislead. Why do you do this so often? You know that:
1. Most posted UOAs are by Blackstone (our minds are trained to their trends)
2. Blackstone's fuel and flash methods differ from those used by the lab you use

Nothing misleading about it. Blackstone uses open cup and they extrapolate fuel % based on their flashpoint results. This is far less accurate than actually checking for fuel signature in the spectrograph.

I still believe that the V.V.T.I. has something to do with the fuel dilution and oil consumption , does talk of this in owners manual for '07 PRIUS with the 1.5 ltr.. May apply to other V.V.T.I. engines or similar technologies , such as HONDA's , etc..
dunno.gif

Last_Z you are correct. I did change the air filter and when I did i saw a small leak path signature on the sealing surface. The oe filters are one continuous piece of material with pockets pressed in for the pleats and the sealing surface is a hard felt type material. Not ideal.

mfisher, not really highway...more like suburban/almost rural. And I drive 30 miles one way to work. Plus any other driving. That was the original air filter in this uoa, but I now have a Fram. Very little idling. And here are is oil change history up to this UOA:

factory fill: 0-500 miles
PP 5w20/oversize pureone 500-2500 mi.
PP 5w20/oversize pureone 2500-5000mi.
PP 5w20/oversize pureone ~5000-10000mi
PP 5w20/oversize pureone 10206-15231mi. CURRENT SAMPLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back