EQUIPMENT MAKE: Jeep
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 4.0L Inline 6 cyl
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL USE INTERVAL: 4,150 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: 10W/30
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts
ADDITIONAL INFO:
BlackStone:
Based on this first sample, we think your Grand Cherokee is in good shape. Universal
averages show typical wear metals for an oil from this type of engine after about 4500 miles on the oil.
Your oil was in use 4150 miles, and we found all wear from the engine reading around average levels.
We did find sodium, which can show antifreeze in the oil or can be from an additive in the oil. Let us
know oil brand so we can tell you more about sodium. The gas is not a problem at this level. It's from
idling or city driving. If sodium is antifreeze, it hasn't hurt wear. Stay at 4K.

ALUMINUM
CHROMIUM
IRON
COPPER
LEAD
TIN
MOLYBDENUM
NICKEL
MANGANESE
SILVER
TITANIUM
POTASSIUM
BORON
SILICON
SODIUM
CALCIUM
MAGNESIUM
PHOSPHORUS
ZINC
BARIUM

didn't mean to post it like that. But for some reason I can't eddit it.
Any way

ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 15
COPPER 2
LEAD 1
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 47
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 29
SILICON 5
SODIUM 54
CALCIUM 2597
MAGNESIUM 13
PHOSPHORUS 637
ZINC 772
BARIUM 0
SUS Flash Fuel Antifreeze Insolubles
Viscosity Point %

Values were- 59.8 360 2 ? 0.3

Forgat to mantion to lab that it was PP so they didn say why sodium so high.

I asked because the silicon level is pretty low, which is a good thing, but that low could mean the filter is loaded up, and that could be causing the elevated fuel level.
Change the filter every 10K.
Not that I knew any of this before, but a very wise man enlightened me.
I can say no more, but I hope a nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse, d'ya know what I mean?

At the risk of sounding alarmed:

This is another one of the late model 4.0's with the #0331 head, prone to cracking.

Aluminum is elevated. Sodium is questionable. Keep an eye on the coolant level in the expansion tank. I would do a UOA with Blackstone and have Terry read it.

The #0331 head is the reason I'll buy a 4.7 when I likely replace my wife's Subaru with a WJ next summer, oh, and the HP and torque. I love the 4.0 but I'm tired of the coolant signs in my UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back