Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 Viscosity & MaxLife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Story 1: I have been trying to convince myself to switch my Mazdaspeed 3 from the factory recommended 5w-30 to 10w-30. I was looking at the viscocity of various oils today at lunch and noticed that Pennzoil Platinum 10w appears to be thinner than Pennzoil Conventional 5w so how could I go wrong. It seems that I could easily show the spec and validate that it was within factory specification if it ever became a warranty issue. I also noticed that the Mobil 1 High Mileage is really thick stuff.

Story 2: Today I changed the oil in my 89 4Runner (engine has about 16k on the rebuild) and opted to switch from Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 to Maxlife Blend 10w-30 ($14 for a jug). I wanted something a little thicker and since I only managed to squeeze 2,500 miles out of this OCI spending the coin for synthetic doesn't really make sense. Also, the oil pan has a little seep to it because it has a gasket rather than just "goo" like Toyota delivered them. My mechanic said that minor seeping wasn't uncommon when a gasket was used. Ironically, Toyota offers a gasket, but it's not they way they did it.

Any thought?

Story 1- I'm not sure why you want to change from 5w-30 to 10-30, but it won't hurt anything. If it was me I'd stick with 5w-30.
Story 2- Maxlife is great oil, but I prefer Penzoil HM.

Although the viscosity of the 10w-30 Platinum might be thinner at operating temp (100C) initially, it is far more shear stable then the 5w-30 conventional Pennzoil. The difference on paper is minimal - on average, after an interval of running both, the Platinum, being a full synthetic, will likely hold it's viscosity better and end up a bit thicker then the 5w-30. It's so close, it's meaningless though. Something like 10 Cst compared to 15 Cst. of operating temperature viscosity is a meaningful comparison.

If I had a Mazdaspeed 3, given the fuel dilution and shearing issues they have, I'd consider the 10w-30 Platinum over a 5w-30.

Please elaborate why you like the Pennzoil HM better. I'm trying to learn the reason(s) for your preference. I have more experience with the Maxlife, but have some of the PZ to try soon.

It doesn't really matter if you use 5 or 10w30, if your region is quite cold, I would use the 5w30. The 10w30 will be fine though.

Maxlife is a great oil, so is PP.

Last edited:
A 10W-30 will "LIKELY" have a higher HTHS. A 10W-30 will also have fewer VII. A 10W-30 may, often, has a lower 100C cSt than a 5W-30. The 5W-30 will shear more but the rate of shear may have the 5W and the 10W equal at 5000 miles.

If you take Mobil 1 5W-30, it has a 100C cSt of 11.3 and a HTHS of 3.09. Mobil 1 10W-30 has a 100C cSt of 10 but a HTHS of 3.14.

Valvoline MaxLife blend 10W-30 has a 100C cSt of 11.5 and a HTHS of 3.3.

Valvoline MaxLife blend 5W-30 has a 100C cSt of 11.5 and a HTHS of 3.2.

Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 full synthetic has a 100C cSt of 11.7 and a HTHS of 3.5.

You could run either MaxLife 5W-30 blend or MaxLife full synthetic 5W-30 and actually get a heavier base oil than the majority of 10W-30 oils, conventional of synthetic.

"Also, the oil pan has a little seep to it because it has a gasket rather than just "goo" like Toyota delivered them. My mechanic said that minor seeping wasn't uncommon when a gasket was used. Ironically, Toyota offers a gasket, but it's not they way they did it."

I am confused. Does it or does it not have the mechanic installed gasket?

He is saying it came from the factory with RTV type sealer for a gasket, but that a real gasket has been installed at some point and now has the typical seepage these are known for. At least that's how I read what was said.

It says 5w-30 in the manual for mpg reasons.The precise driving the CAFE testers preform, the visc can make a difference. Not so much for the rest of us.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
He is saying it came from the factory with RTV type sealer for a gasket, but that a real gasket has been installed at some point and now has the typical seepage these are known for. At least that's how I read what was said.

Yes, it's currently installed with a gasket, but my mechanic said that RTV works better and was actually the original Toyota configuration.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If I had a Mazdaspeed 3, given the fuel dilution and shearing issues they have, I'd consider the 10w-30 Platinum over a 5w-30.

This is exactly the reason I plan to switch to 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Please elaborate why you like the Pennzoil HM better. I'm trying to learn the reason(s) for your preference. I have more experience with the Maxlife, but have some of the PZ to try soon.

I'm not saying PZ HM is better than Maxlife. I've just had really good results after using PZ HM in my wife's 97 Maxima, w/ 287k miles, on it and in my 97 chev. P/U, w/ 163k mi., on it. Both Vehicles have small oil leaks and were using a little oil between changes. After I started using PZ HM oil consumption was reduced to practically nothing in my wife's car. I've only been using it my truck for 3 weeks but the oil level is still on the full mark. It usually uses a half quart about every 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back