Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30: bad mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys.
I used to use Mobil1 for about 5 years. Average mileage was about 28-29 mpg at summer and 27-28 at winter. About two months ago I put PP 10w30 and now I have not more than 26 mpg. The car is Nissan Sentra 2001 GXE, 1.8l, 63k miles.
Air filter is clean. I consider two possibilities:
1. Oxygen sensor is going to dead
2. PP is not as good as Mobil1.

Any opinions appreciated.

Change in gasoline formulation? New levels of ethanol mandated in pump gas replacing MTBE?
Seems a large number of people across the board are reporting decreased gas mileage right now with heat waves going on and AC's on 100% of the time. Summer gas this year is not like summer gas of previous years may be part of it.

Not sure if gas has anything to do with based on my MPG up ever since MTBE was replaced by the 10%. I was lucky to eek out 33-34 mpg last summer..this summer 35-36 is the norm

dunno.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

I always used to use M1 10w30. This winter the M1 EP 5w30 was used, engine was a little bit noisy, but mileage was OK. Now mileage is worse and the noise is pretty same...
Anyway, I am disappointed by PP. My Maxima 2000 does not like PP either.

Dave:
I am not sure that I decided to change my driving habbits and style after switching to PP ;-)

Geno: Another suspected is oxygen sensor(s). They could easily wear out for 63k.

Got to be something other than the switch of oil brands. You could have gone from Mobil 1 10W30 to Mobil 1 15W50 and it would not have made that much difference.

My next door neighbour has two Nissan products and he swears that the only oil they like is Castrol GTX 10W40.
dunno.gif
Go back to Mobil 1 and be happy.

timeau
Member # 9391

posted 19 July, 2006 07:43
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave:
I am not sure that I decided to change my driving habbits and style after switching to PP ;-)

Geno: Another suspected is oxygen sensor(s). They could easily wear out for 63k.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 6 | From: RF->MD | Registered: Oct 2005 | IP: Logged |

I am not saying that you did. But it is something to look at. You could be doing something different that you have not noticed before. No joke I had to change my habits and wake up and leave 10 minutes before my "normal" time. I only have a 15 minute drive to work because of my hours I get to miss rush hour. But I gained 2 MPG on my previous truck by leaving 10 minutes earlier and driving 65 vice 73.

I've tried so many brands and what I have found is that it takes a good 5k miles before an oil starts to "feel good" in your engine. I've noticed this several times. I have no explanation for it but Mickey M and Elf have both confirmed somthing to this effect. Seating is what I believe it is called.

If the O2 sensor is on its way out, you may have you answer. If the system is obd2 then it may be running rich and have nothing to do with the oil.

I'm going to have to agree with what some of the others have said. Going from Mobil1 10w30 to Platinum 10w30 is not going to make much of a difference.

There are too many positive reports on PP right now to blame that oil on you the changes you have observed.

I'd leave it up to a UOA of both your vehicles that are running PP to decide whether or not they like them.

you never use any kind of fuel additives?

keeping up on maintenance? like spark plugs? have they ever been changed yet?

JK:
I've never used to use any additives. Any maintainance I always do myself, just remember that "if you want anything be done properly, do it yourself". Spark plugs should be changed at 100k, so I did not touch them.

About Maxima.
I can't be so confident because Maxima is driven by my wife. But there was a difference in mileage too. Not so significant, may be 18.5 instead of 19 mpg. Now Maxima is used Castrol GTX 10w40 and seems pretty OK.

My first tank full after switching one car from GTX to Redline got far less mpg than I expected, which really bothered me. After that, it got right back up to where it had been.

Coincidence? Some kind of mysterious mechanical adjustment the car made? I don't know. But I'd give your PP a few more tank fulls to get a good average.

Considering all the variables of vehicle operation, including...

Driving style
Fuel composition
Operating environment
Engine design
Engine reliability
Lubricant additives
Routine maintenance
Aftermarket performance upgrades
(Etc.)

...I find it harder and harder to extrapolate anything from first-hand accounts of oil "performance." The brand of oil, the specific product of that brand and the weight of the oil are just a small part of the overall picture of what's going on with your engine. For instance, with longer OCI's, how can we tell if it's not a seasonal formulation change in your gasoline that isn't contributing to the poorer performance? Or perhaps it's something simple like using the A/C more often now that it's summer? Or maybe it's the combination of the seasonal gas and the A/C, combined with a new driving route due to road work and perhaps the fact that you're approaching a major service interval for your vehicle?

BTW: Timeau, I didn't mean this "rant" at you in particular (or anyone else for that matter). I'm just sort of commenting in general upon what I think is an overemphasis here upon brand preference. IMO, I think people have to go pretty far out of their way to pick a poorly performing oil and experience a reduction in performance; the forumulations of major-branded oils are so good these days that it's almost a "quality commodity" product. I don't know what is causing your reduction in mpg, but I suspect it's a combination of small changes in disimilar things rather than just a simple change in oil brand.

I will bet that any change back to M-1 this week will produce the same gas mileage as Pennzoil Platinum next week -- provided the same gas is used -- the same octane -- the same to/from travels -- same weights inside the vehicle -- the same non hot-rodding with the gas pedal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back