Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20, 6256 miles, 2012 Impreza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose

OP....do you have any thoughts about the Fram XG filter not meeting Subaru's by pass specs?

Not sure if this is an official stance, but Fram claims it doesn't matter:

Quote:
We do actually make a replacement filter for Subaru only that has a 22psi relief valve, part number is PH9715. It is the same filter as the 6607 with a 22psi valve instead of 13psi. Unfortunately, we only make it in our standard version, no Ultra version available. According to our chief engineer (who has been engineering filters for 35 yrs) His comments-

"I don't see any risk in having a 13 psi valve for 22 psi application. The risk would be going the other way using a 22 psi valve in 13 psi application."

He goes on to say that many OE's are moving to relief valves in the 20psi range and we will be as well. He attributes this the the better flow of low viscosity oils now commonly used. Further, he stated that the difference in the valves open/closed rate would be in milliseconds on a cold day with cold oil. He stated that using oil of a higher viscosity than recommended by the OE will keep the relief valve open longer than any pressure rating. In any event, your really should take the time to investigate the Ultra filter.

My turbo 350Z calls for the 6607 filter, you can run the slightly larger 7317 in its place and that is what I use, not sure if there is clearance on a Subaru engine. Last, we stand behind our products. If you ever had an oil filter related engine failure while using our catalogged filter for your particular engine, we would of course cover it under warranty. Honda, Subaru, Mack trucks, Chrysler, and many private label brands all come from our USA factories. They trust us to keep their warranties intact.

More good dialogue between motorking (who also posts in this forum) and gpshumway here (you just need to wade through the noise):

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2590047&page=3

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: Chris
Are most of the miles highway?

7500 should be no problem here.

I'd say my driving is probably 75% highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back