Pennzoil Plat High Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I just received my oil analysis kit from Pennzoil and to my surprise I got Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage. I have a few questions...

There is no API certification logo on the front, should I be worried about that? It is SN rated but is the API logo necessary? The car in question is the one in my sig and it is waaaaay out of warranty.

Also, I have never used a high mileage motor oil in this engine and I never planned to. The dipstick is always up to the full mark regardless how long the OCI is. Any long term affects to using high mileage and then switching back to regular synthetic? It doesn't burn or leak any oil.

I'm excited about this oil analysis kit and I will post all my UOA's so you all can see them. I just wanted to get feedback if using non API certified oil is fine in my situation.

You're good to go.

They sent me the wrong oil (Pennzoil HM) and I believe they're sending me out some Pennzoil Platinum HM.

Should be fine! It's supposedly a great oil, I know the regular PHM is fantastic IMO. As long as it's SN rated you should be fine. The car owner's manual will tell you what oil to use in your car, but since it's a 2008, this newer oil should have no problem meeting spec anyway. Looking forward to the UOA.

Thanks for the repsonses! I'll use it and not think twice about it
smile.gif
. I'll post the UOA's when the time comes.

That's why I asked. I'm not an oil guru like many others are and i would have assumed the certified is better than non certified.

Did Pennzoil just not get this oil certified due to costs? I would figure that it is a pretty stout oil.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Did Pennzoil just not get this oil certified due to costs? I would figure that it is a pretty stout oil.

Possibly, or more likely the Oil either doesn't meet the fuel economy standard required, or has higher concentrations of ingredients that don't qualify for certification. The regular PHM is a very good oil if you ask me and is loaded with the good stuff. I can only imagine the same for a synthetic version of it. As long as it is SN rated then you have nothing to really worry about. Also, did you look on the back of the bottle?

Last edited:
The PZ website says:

Pennzoil Platinum® High Mileage Meets and exceeds the requirements of:

API SN and all previous categories
ILSAC GF-5
Exceeds ILSAC GF-5 engine cleansing and protection requirements
Chrysler MS-6395
GM 6094M

And google says the definition of the certification is: "API's Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System (EOLCS) is a voluntary licensing and certification program that authorizes engine oil marketers who meet specified requirements to use the API Engine Oil Quality Marks."

Which leads one to wonder how it's not certified. Cost or not.

Last edited:
Thanks for checking that for me! I looked on their website last night and I saw the GM6094M, which is what my vehicle calls for. I'm just surprised it's not listed anywhere on the bottle. Just the SN donut is on the back.

Sweet. Thanks for posting that. How did you come about that kit? Either way I guess it isn't certified. Still a great oil anyway. Make sure to let us know how it goes and how the UOA turns out .

I PM'd GenaFishBeck and simply asked to sign up for the kit and i got a response back. A Dodge forum that i frequent has a few members that received the kit too. A lot of people started posting on the message boards asking how to sign up. Pennzoil responded back to the postings saying that they are always looking for people who are currently not using pennzoil but would like to switch.

I think if you have a competitor oil brand in your sig it would help.

They didnt ask me for my cars mileage either. They got that from my sig so that's why I got high mileage. I guess they do look at it...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back