Pennzoil Plat. 5W30, 5596miles, '01 Mitsu V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post and my first UOA.
'01 Mitsu Galant V6 with 80,794 miles

Its had synthetic since the second oil change at 4701 miles. I've used mainly Mobil 1 5W30, but I recently switched to to Pennzoil Platinum.

Oil for this UOA is Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, 5596 miles on the oil.

Analysis by Blackstone

Aluminum - 3
Chromium - 1
Iron - 6
Copper - 1
Lead - 2
Tin - 0
Molybdenum - 50
Nickel - 0
Mangenese - 0
Silver - 0
Titanium - 0
Potassium - 0
Boron - 0
Silicon - 5
Sodium - 2
Calcium - 2206
Magnesium - 11
Phosphorus - 571
Zinc - 723
Barium - 0

SUS Visc@210F = 61.3
Flashpoint - 390F
Fuel% Antifreeze - 0.0
Water - 0.0
Insolubles - 0.3

Blackstone says it looks very good. Your feeback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

[image]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:IPY92g2aDtgdbM:http://www.redhillsventures.com/images/welcome.gif[/image]

I didn't see it ..so, can you tell us the typical service this sees and how long it took to accumulate the mileage?

Looks decent on my novice surface scan

Five years and five months to get to 80,000 miles. In recent years I've put on between 1500 and 2000 miles per month, a fairly even mix of city and highway miles. I drive it year-round, in Pennsylvania, so it gets driven in a wide range of temps.

I'd say, under that type of usage, that you could go a lot longer. You're at a 3month OCI. I'd take it to 5months and retest. I think that 6months wouldn't be too hard to get out of this oil.

Did Blackstone do this UOA? If so, they should have given you a mileage recommendation for the next OCI based on universal numbers/mileage.

Yes, we do see our 4 season temps. Not too harsh ..but enough to factor into the mix. Unless you're dedicated to 3month OCI, you should be able to manage a biannual OCI with, perhaps, a shorter duration over the winter. You're in the sweet spot for fully warmed up operation a good bit.

What filter do you use?

Blackstone did the analysis. Here are their comments:

"You have a great wearing engine in your 2001 Galant ES. Universal averages show typical
wear metals for an oil from this type engine after about 3,375-miles run on the oil. Your oil was in use
more than 2,200 miles longer, and we found all wear at around average levels and in the correct
balance to show normal mechanical parts inside. Air and oil filtration appear normal. This was 5W/30
engine oil with no gas, moisture or anti-freeze in it. The oil could have stayed in use longer, but the
way this engine is wearing, it is going to last you a long time"

I was pleased to hear it, because I intend to run this car as long as I can.

I really haven't been very picky about the oil filter. I've mainly used the Supertech ST3593A for the past couple of years, but have used AC Delco and Purolator here and there. Seems like the consensus is that all three are of good quality.

Essentially they're saying that you're getting good/average wear at above average mileage. Doesn't look like an endorsement for further extension of the drain interval.

All the filters are decent. If you wanted a finer level of filtration, I'd suggest a PureOne. It shouldn't alter your numbers too much ..except maybe insolubles.

You could probably get this same performance from a dino oil over that duration of use. It's hard to justify the cost of synth over this mileage over this time frame. You have a fairly unique situation there.

Looking at the viscosity and total solids level, there is a fair amount of life left in this oil. I'd consider going to a 7500 mile OCI and testing one more time to be sure.

Wear rates are very low for a 3.0L engine....

TS

Pennzoil Platinum is what is in the motor now. I wasn't aware that it was now a group III, but it really doesn't concern me too much, except the price seems a little high for a group III. When the Platinum was first released, I remember good things being said about it and I think it was a group IV at that time. Why the change?

One question that I have is this: Is this UOA really a good indicator of how this oil is performing, or is it more of an indicator of how the oil that I have used previously has performed? I have used Mobil 1 for years and the sample that was analyzed was the first time I'd used the PP.

PP was originally a Group V (what's not a Group III nor a POA). It was an EOP. For some reason ..after (surely) millions of $$ of R&D ..and even upramping into full production, they (apparently) abandoned this process for their former Group III makings. :shrug:

Your UOA is primarily an indicator of the condition of your oil. It will also point out anything odd with the engine.

I too think that 7500 would be your next evolution if you desired to extend the drain interval.

Blain,

A little bit of both...the engine is obviously very clean inside, so the oil can work properly.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back