Pennzoil pistons cleaner than Mobil 1, Valvoline..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kender
Originally Posted By: stchman

Can we see some decibel meter readings to confirm this?

Let me get this this straight. You want me to buy a decibel meter. Test my car with Pennzoil (just put Amsoil OE in it 2 days ago...so I'll have to dump that). Then dump the Pennzoil, put in mobil 1 and test that.

Yeah, no problem. I'll even take off work tomorrow and get right on it. Just to prove it to you.

Get a life dude. It's just oil. If you don't believe me, I don't care. Have a great day!!

BTW, the Amsoil is quieter than M1 also!!!

You've made these claims and have ZERO proof to back it up. Maybe BITOG should have an oil engine sound scale.

What's next, which oil filter gives your vehicle the best acceleration?

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Click this link and then click 3 on the midpage advertisement. You'll see a picture of a clean Pennzoil piston versus a dirty Mobil 1 piston:

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-ultra-synthetic-oil/#

Have you actually ever seen a piston that had coked rings or severly worn piston skirts?? If you think the view of the M1 piston was "dirty" then you haven't seen many pistons.

Can we see some decibel meter readings to confirm this?

Let me get this this straight. You want me to buy a decibel meter. Test my car with Pennzoil (just put Amsoil OE in it 2 days ago...so I'll have to dump that). Then dump the Pennzoil, put in mobil 1 and test that.

Yeah, no problem. I'll even take off work tomorrow and get right on it. Just to prove it to you.

Get a life dude. It's just oil. If you don't believe me, I don't care. Have a great day!!

BTW, the Amsoil is quieter than M1 also!!!

You've made these claims and have ZERO proof to back it up. Maybe BITOG should have an oil engine sound scale.

What's next, which oil filter gives your vehicle the best acceleration?

OK fanboy, I did not make claims. I related my experience with M1. I said others have also noticed more noise when using M1, and that some noticed no difference. I also questioned whether "noisier" matters? I'm not trying to prove anything.

Now, lets talk about Mobil 1 SM 5w30 FAILING the camshaft wear test according to Valvoline (old news I know. And I'm sure Mobil fixed that "little" problem after both Valvoline and Castrol called them out on it) LOL!!!

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Pennzoil > Mobil 1, at least for quietness and smoothness.

Prove it....

I've used M1 several times in different vehicles. Each time the engines were noticeably noisier. At least at idle. Now I use conventional (either PYB or QSGB). Quiet engines. In fact, a little too quiet! My wife sometimes tries to start the car when it's already running. Lots of BITOGER's have had similar experiences. Others say they can't tell the difference. In the long run does it matter? I don't know, but I like quieter.

I switched from QSUD 5w-30 to M1 0w-30 in my Dakota, and valve rattle at start up goes away after 1 second instead of 15. After that it may be subjective but I think it runs smoother on the M1. I haven't tried M1 5w-30 but may on the next oil change in the Spring.

But "prove it"? Hard to do.

Idk why some people in here are arguing that some oils don't run louder or quieter than others. I switched my vehicle from VWB to PYB and noticed that it's noticeably quieter at idle with Pennzoil. I also have another household vehicle that's currently running VWB and I noticed immediately that there's more valvetrain noise upon the switch. So guess which oil I won't be buying any longer when the alternatives are the same price? I attribute it to the boron the VWB lacks. If many people say that M1 runs louder than PP or other oils then it's probably true.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I switched from QSUD 5w-30 to M1 0w-30 in my Dakota, and valve rattle at start up goes away after 1 second instead of 15. After that it may be subjective but I think it runs smoother on the M1. I haven't tried M1 5w-30 but may on the next oil change in the Spring.

You won't be asked to prove anything. You found M1 to be less noisy so your auditory sensitivity will go unquestioned by those who prefer it.

Click this link and then click 3 on the midpage advertisement. You'll see a picture of a clean Pennzoil piston versus a dirty Mobil 1 piston:

Yeah, I made a pic in response to that a while back:

PUM1.png

It is a bit nicer when you get to see ALL the pistons......
smirk.gif

I could take the bottom left and top right Mobil pistons and re-create the Pennzoil picture.....

It's the tops of the pistons that benefit from being clean the most. Pull the heads
and take a wire wheel with some WD-40 to the pistons and they'll be immaculate.

When I switched from Mobil 1 to Toyota (same 0w-20 grade) I noticed much more engine rattle, which surprised me because T-oil is supposed to be "oil from heaven". Later oil analysis showed no difference in wear.
Noise =/= more wear.
Because I'm sure that link will give us a completely un-biased report.

Strawman argument..... never said it was an unbiased link. I merely said it was a picture.
smile.gif
The caption underneath reads "Based on ASTM Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30. Pistons from standard V6 engine in Sequence IIIG test....."

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Any truth to this ad claiming Pennzoil is better? i.e. independent proof?

Also, the test compared PU against regular M1 and not M1 EP. EP is XOM's top shelf product, so they should have compared it to this one.

Also note that Castrol Edge Titanium is absent from the lineup.

I'm sure their claims are true to an extent, but they simply omit lots of important information. All the majors synthetic products are excellent, unless you have a particularly finnicky application you won't go wrong with any of them.

Wouldn't it be nice if all the makers published the results of the entire sequence of qualification tests? Riiight. It's sleeting in hades right now.

When I switched from Mobil 1 to Toyota (same 0w-20 grade) I noticed much more engine rattle, which surprised me because T-oil is supposed to be "oil from heaven". Later oil analysis showed no difference in wear.

The only thing noisy engines wear out is my patience.

No one would buy a new car and put noisy tires on it to defeat all the NVH countermeasures built into the vehicle, just because the tires were another top brand name and traction performance was identical.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's the tops of the pistons that benefit from being clean the most. Pull the heads
and take a wire wheel with some WD-40 to the pistons and they'll be immaculate.

LMAO!!!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
Also note that Castrol Edge Titanium is absent from the lineup.

I'm sure their claims are true to an extent, but they simply omit lots of important information. All the majors synthetic products are excellent, unless you have a particularly finnicky application you won't go wrong with any of them.

Yup, when you're faced with stiff competition that has a very similar offering, marketing has to nitpick to spin its tale in the most favorable light:

1. Pick one specific test result which makes your product stand out. Build it up into some huge benefit, regardless how miniscule it may be in real life.

2. Carefully pick your competitors (read: surround yourself with losers). Discard those competing products that would score well on the same test.

Now in all fairness, SOPUS isn't the only company doing this. Just about everyone is. Business as usual. Move along.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
No one would buy a new car and put noisy tires on it to defeat all the NVH countermeasures built into the vehicle, just because the tires were another top brand name and traction performance was identical.

Unless it's a Toyota-branded tire specifically made for the Prius to improve MPG.
:)

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Originally Posted By: HangFire

You won't be asked to prove anything. You found M1 to be less noisy so your auditory sensitivity will go unquestioned by those who prefer it.

Well, that's a relief!
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: DragRace
This is why BITOG has become the lackluster,lack of good information.

3 pages devoted to advertising?

This is a single thread among thousands of other ones that do have good information.

Is this your version of a "Get of my lawn!" post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back