Pennzoil pistons cleaner than Mobil 1, Valvoline..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ammolab
And cleaner Pistons are important because?.........

Because it allows better ring seal, decreased abrasive wear from the deposits, and less chance of pre-ignition.

The PU add is deceptive because it only shows the skirt area of the piston. It's the boss area(the side view of the piston) that gets the most dis-coloration.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Originally Posted By: ammolab
And cleaner Pistons are important because?.........

Because it allows better ring seal, decreased abrasive wear from the deposits, and less chance of pre-ignition.

And Pennzoil can prove that their piston are 'enough cleaner' to improve these three factors?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blackman777
Any truth to this ad claiming Pennzoil is better? i.e. independent proof?

They base many of their claims on API and ILSAC tests results. So, they're technically true. But, how much cleaner. A "little bit cleaner" might be statistically significant, but absolutely inconsequential in practice.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Also, the test compared PU against regular M1 and not M1 EP. EP is XOM's top shelf product, so they should have compared it to this one.

But Pennzoil claims PP cleans 8% better than M-1.

I agree I would like to see a head to head test on M-1EP.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: blackman777
Any truth to this ad claiming Pennzoil is better? i.e. independent proof?

They base many of their claims on API and ILSAC tests results. So, they're technically true. But, how much cleaner. A "little bit cleaner" might be statistically significant, but absolutely inconsequential in practice.

Single digit differences mean little here. Since most oils these days are likely better than needed anyway...

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Pennzoil > Mobil 1, at least for quietness and smoothness.

Prove it....

I've used M1 several times in different vehicles. Each time the engines were noticeably noisier. At least at idle. Now I use conventional (either PYB or QSGB). Quiet engines. In fact, a little too quiet! My wife sometimes tries to start the car when it's already running. Lots of BITOGER's have had similar experiences. Others say they can't tell the difference. In the long run does it matter? I don't know, but I like quieter.

Last edited:
My take away: Using Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, or Castrol full synthetic will keep your engine running well past the useful life of your car.

Use all with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Pennzoil as been on an aggressive advertising campaign lately
to combat the myth that their oils cause sludge and varnish.

Yes, back in the 90s Pennzoil was called Pennzwax or Pennzsludge.

Prove it....

Yes, I would like to see proof other than vague stuff like:

"It seems to run smoother"
"The engine feels more quiet"

A simple decibel meter will show which is louder, but smoothness.....

Originally Posted By: kender

Prove it....

I've used M1 several times in different vehicles. Each time the engines were noticeably noisier. At least at idle. Now I use conventional (either PYB or QSGB). Quiet engines. In fact, a little too quiet! My wife sometimes tries to start the car when it's already running. Lots of BITOGER's have had similar experiences. Others say they can't tell the difference. In the long run does it matter? I don't know, but I like quieter.

So you're saying that conventional Pennzoil results in such a much quieter engine than Mobil 1.

Can we see some decibel meter readings to confirm this?

Originally Posted By: stchman

Prove it....

So you're saying that conventional Pennzoil results in such a much quieter engine than Mobil 1.

Let me get this this straight. You want me to buy a decibel meter. Test my car with Pennzoil (just put Amsoil OE in it 2 days ago...so I'll have to dump that). Then dump the Pennzoil, put in mobil 1 and test that.

Yeah, no problem. I'll even take off work tomorrow and get right on it. Just to prove it to you.

Get a life dude. It's just oil. If you don't believe me, I don't care. Have a great day!!

BTW, the Amsoil is quieter than M1 also!!!

My Honda R18 was much quieter when I went from M1 to Redline. My butt dyno seems like it is smoother too.

Originally Posted By: stchman

Prove it....

Yes....show us all the proof.....or could it be just the placebo effect ??? and you hear what you want to hear.

I've used both oils and they both... sound the same at start-up and are very smooth when accelerating.....but I prefer Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back