Pennzoil packaged with Slick 50-Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I was strolling through Pep Boys this evening, I came across Pennzoil packaged with Slick 50. Does anybody really buy this? This packaging arrangement does not enhance my confidence in Pennzoil lubricants. It is one reason why I REFUSE to purchase a Shell/QS/Pennzoil product.

Those were in Kmart a little ways back too. Its just marketing. "Nail 2 things together that have never been nailed together before and someone will buy it" (unknown author).

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
Those were in Kmart a little ways back too. Its just marketing. "Nail 2 things together that have never been nailed together before and someone will buy it" (unknown author).

Or "put some crap in a bottle and say it works wonders on your engine and someone will buy it".
grin.gif
tongue.gif

One thing that really turns me off from this new company (Shell+Quaker State+Pennzoil-what are they called, anyway?) is that they continue to sell Slick 50. The makers of Slick 50 were fined by the FTC for false advertising. Check the FTC web site. Valvoline used to sell a similar engine treatment (I think it was called TM-8 or something like that) and Valvoline was fined also. But they at least took their product off the market.

One of the very few oil supplements and engine treatments I believe in anymore is Auto-RX. There are a few other that may be good. But probably 99% of all of these oil supplements and engine treatments are less then useless.

It's called SHELL LUBRICANTS and it is one of the best things that could have happened. Product quality has gone up on all 3 brands and some really exciting things are being looked at with some new synthetics.

The Slick 50 thing was marketing and I was probably more upset about it than anyone. I sold against this product for 20 years until we purchased Quaker State in 1995 and since then, I have not tried to sell any of it. The good news is, this product is going bye, bye. We are selling it, but I do not know to whom at this time. I wish them well. A good formulated oil does not need any kind of additive to help it out.

I'm sorry if you have lost your confidence in these 3 products. But then, we just can't please everyone.

Actually, Pennzoil according to testing at this site is one of the best conventional motor oils. Quaker State has not been tested much. I don't think I have ever tried Shell. I am glad to hear that Slick 50 is being sold.

This product (Slick 50) will not die. Is it eternal or what? I don't know how many years this stuff has been around and it looks like it is going to be around a few more decades. Why do people buy this stuff? I have to admit I did use a PTFE containing product a while back, but not Slick 50.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:

I'm sorry if you have lost your confidence in these 3 products. But then, we just can't please everyone.

No confidence lost in fact it looks like QS and Pennzoil is making a comeback . New Pao in the QS line and good blends and HM oils .

I do see that the Shell Helix Ultra is now listed as a USA product ! Hope to see it on the shelves some day . Very simalar in spec to some of the new 0/40's from Europe .

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/product_details.php?code=50044

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back