Pennzoil or QS Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys
I have a 1995 Nissan Hardbody V6 4x4 with almost 79000 miles on it. I have always changed the oil and filter every 3000 or 3 months mainly with 5w30/10w30 Pennzoil and a Nissan oil filter.Well, I let the Nissan dealer change the oil(taking my Pennzoil they subtract the price of their oil QS 10w30 from the bill). Would I be better off continuing to take my Pennzoil or letting the dealer use the QS 10w30 bulk oil?
Thanks

Take your oil with you. You will be insuring that it is not contaminated like the bulk oil could be if someone were careless. Even at a dealer, I am not comforatable with bulk pumped oils. Some may even use a barrel of something other than QS of the right grade if you don't know for sure.

Pennzoil may also be the better oilinho.

In one of these threads, Johnny, a Pennz/QS rep, says that Pennz uses a higher quality viscosity index improver than QS uses...of course, Pennz and QS are both owned by Shell.

Ken

Even though Pennzoil is known to use a slightly better base oil, in this case I'd probably recommend using Quaker State, since you could take advantage of their 10 year/250,000 mile warranty if you simply use their oil and change it at least every 4000 miles or 4 months. That is simply a great deal, I'm surprised more conventional oil users don't take them up on this offer actually.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Even though Pennzoil is known to use a slightly better base oil, in this case I'd probably recommend using Quaker State, since you could take advantage of their 10 year/250,000 mile warranty if you simply use their oil and change it at least every 4000 miles or 4 months. That is simply a great deal, I'm surprised more conventional oil users don't take them up on this offer actually.

Is this true?? How many hoops do you have to jump through to get that deal?

Well, you have to use QS exclusively... & be able to prove this (with receipts?) to their satisfaction.

You would need to also keep the vehicle until an engine failure that is deemed (by them) to be "OIL-RELATED"...

A probable consensus on this board would be that dino Pennzoil is generally considered superior to QS: what's wrong with bringing your own oil and getting a credit for the QS? Sounds like a perfect deal to me
fruit.gif

I think Johnny said that PZ had a similar mileage guarantee. I don't think this is a big deal since oil related failures are almost unheard of.

I use Wal-Mart's bottled oil because I have seen pictures here of badly corroded bulk oil tanks, also reports of oil pirates using bogus stuff. However, I've got to believe that such incidents are few and far between.

When I do make my occasional jaunt to the dealer, I have them use their stock 5w30 use in everything Castrol, even though it's not recommended by Hyundai when the temps go above 100 degrees.

I would like to see some more QS UOA's on this board. I think it's probably a very good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back