Pennzoil Lineup Showdown on Project Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
BITOG Disclaimer: The Project Farm channel states that its videos are for entertainment purposes only. Project Farm does not perform ASTM tests, nor apply industry acknowledged methods and criteria, and therefore BITOG cannot endorse the results of tests of any lubricant or filter or similar product as seen on the Project Farm channel, and cautions readers giving credence to such entertainment information.

I didn't see this posted, so I figured I'd share with you folks. Project Farm posted a Pennzoil comparison on YouTube today. As usual, there's solid testing methods and some Blackstone Lab reports for good measure. There's actually a somewhat surprising result, but I won't spoil it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Already posted today.

Already posted today.

Crap. That's what I get for searching thread titles and not replies.

I saw some guys casting shade in the other thread. My question is what would you do differently that isn't time, labor, or cost-prohibitive? In my opinion the tests are fine, if only for demonstration purposes. Are they highly precise or technical? Not really, but it's more for comparison sake. He used Blackstone reports on the VOA. I don't see a problem there either.

This guy is the best we have for unbiased, non-sponsored testing. I certainly wouldn't trust the manufacturers to be straight with me. They have 4 types of oil for Pete's sake. Otherwise, we're relying on the butt dyno from other BITOGers for oil recommendations. 😅

I saw some guys casting shade in the other thread. My question is what would you do differently that isn't time, labor, or cost-prohibitive? In my opinion the tests are fine, if only for demonstration purposes. Are they highly precise or technical? Not really, but it's more for comparison sake. He used Blackstone reports on the VOA. I don't see a problem there either.

"Casting shade"? No, drawing attention to the fact that the sorts of "tests" typically performed in these videos aren't of any value beyond entertainment.

You've now presented an opinion that the tests are "fine". Can you characterize that for me? Perhaps extrapolate what specific data that's accurate enough to be of value, has been produced and allows you to definitively cite differences in performance between the lubes in question?

"Casting shade"? No, drawing attention to the fact that the sorts of "tests" typically performed in these videos aren't of any value beyond entertainment.

You've now presented an opinion that the tests are "fine". Can you characterize that for me? Perhaps extrapolate what specific data that's accurate enough to be of value, has been produced and allows you to definitively cite differences in performance between the lubes in question?
Did you see the video? There's plenty of numerical data that can be interpreted and analyzed. You can dispute the validity of the means of testing, but it is certainly consistent between all samples

Did you see the video? There's plenty of numerical data that can be interpreted and analyzed. You can dispute the validity of the means of testing, but it is certainly consistent between all samples
No, I refuse to watch his videos, just like I refuse to watch Scottie Kilmer videos. I refuse to provide a revenue click for content that is either low value, or constantly presented as being of more value than it is. I wait until people here share what the details are and I'll address them in detail at that juncture.

No, I refuse to watch his videos, just like I refuse to watch Scottie Kilmer videos. I refuse to provide a revenue click for content that is either low value, or constantly presented as being of more value than it is. I wait until people here share what the details are and I'll address them in detail at that juncture.
That's solid thinking, however his simple experiments do show some worth to the different products in production

That's solid thinking, however his simple experiments do show some worth to the different products in production
Explain to me how that applies in this case, what is being performed that provides resolution above and beyond what is already performed by the oil companies as mandated in the approvals each product carries?

While I'm not the biggest fan of the API sequences, finding them somewhat lacking when compared to many of their European counterparts, they are reasonably extensive and most of them are actual engine tests performed on real engines to determine performance under a given set of conditions. These tests are controlled and repeatable.

Explain to me how that applies in this case, what is being performed that provides resolution above and beyond what is already performed by the oil companies as mandated in the approvals each product carries?

While I'm not the biggest fan of the API sequences, finding them somewhat lacking when compared to many of their European counterparts, they are reasonably extensive and most of them are actual engine tests performed on real engines to determine performance under a given set of conditions. These tests are controlled and repeatable.
Could be you like to read bottle labels, and pay more for similar results, marketing, or you like being told what is "good better and best" this simple test (you didn't watch?) Shows some interesting results..

Could be you like to read bottle labels, and pay more for similar results, marketing, or you like being told what is "good better and best" this simple test (you didn't watch?) Shows some interesting results..
No, I clearly said I wasn't going to watch.

Humour me, tell me what the "interesting results" are and what the parameters of the tests being performed are.

If you saw the recent thread from Engineering Explained where they were with Mobil in their engine testing lab, there were some important statements made by Mobil regarding how they set their own performance targets for their tiers of products. These are performance targets captured under the existing testing protocols, but Mobil imposes their own limits, much stricter than what the API mandates.

So, Mobil 1 EP is held to a higher standard in these tests than Mobil 1 for example. So yes, both products have the same approvals on the bottle, but one, via internal testing, has to do significantly better than not only the test limits, but than its sibling product in the "lesser" product line.

The allusion being made in this thread is that PF has provided "proof" that Pennzoil, who is essentially marketing what Mobil has stated unequivocally that they DO with their products, is in fact selling an inferior product as the superior product. Does that pass the smell test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back