Pennzoil HM vs Mobil Super HM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching threads, I don't find much on either oil.
One post states that the MS HM is syn blend, but didn't find that on the Pennzoil, yet the Pennzoil costs more?
I'm just interested in comparing/contrasting these oils. Is one better than the other?

Last edited:
I'm not a M1 fan, and prefer SOPUS products. I use the PNZL HM in the winter in my 4.0 jeeps and it seems to work very well.

I would go PNZL HM without any further thought !

Pennzoil HM seems to work great in my Firebird. It had a slow leak that Mobil 1 HM failed to make a dent in, even after 3,000 miles. After ~1,000 miles of Pennzoil HM, it seems to be slowing down at last. In terms of performance, sound, etc. I can't notice a difference. I haven't tried their Super HM, however, as I can't seem to find it here at any place aside from Walmart for a reasonable price.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Pennzoil HM seems to work great in my Firebird. It had a slow leak that Mobil 1 HM failed to make a dent in, even after 3,000 miles. After ~1,000 miles of Pennzoil HM, it seems to be slowing down at last. In terms of performance, sound, etc. I can't notice a difference. I haven't tried their Super HM, however, as I can't seem to find it here at any place aside from Walmart for a reasonable price.

It takes time to stop leaks with HM oils, the M1 probably was working on it already and the HM additives in the Pennzoil finished it up.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

It takes time to stop leaks with HM oils, the M1 probably was working on it already and the HM additives in the Pennzoil finished it up.

I'm not entirely convinced by that as in other leaking applications, when using MaxLife, the leaks have always slowed down (or completely stopped) in less than 3,000 miles. But, anything is possible. Perhaps it was working, but from the time I got the car until the time I changed it out, the amount of oil leaking was the same. I think that Mobil 1 HM might just take longer to slow leaks than other HM brands.

I read that some HM oils are on the thicker end of the scale within grade. Is there a difference in thickness between these two HM oils (or VML for that matter) in 5w30?

lukejo one would think 5w-30 would have the same thickness between brands but it may not be the case. I thought all brands of cell phones would pick up a signal as well as the other using the same technology but learned last week a Motorola will grab a weak signal best per Verizon rep last week. I had noted this after the kids went to Samsung and I had Motorola.

The only HM I have used in years is Mobil. We stock the 10W-40 especially for the small engines since it handys high temps better than most. We also use it straight for cutting oil when sawing/drilling steel. It makes a real difference in the life of blades and bits. It may be the Moly content.

My son had an 03 Neon and he used M1 HM 10W-40 for over 30,000 miles - it never even put a dent in his leak. I never got a chance to switch to MaxLife as the car got wrecked. That being said, if it's a minor leak, I think M1 HM will help.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
I read that some HM oils are on the thicker end of the scale within grade. Is there a difference in thickness between these two HM oils (or VML for that matter) in 5w30?

between the oils in the OP, the PNZL is a BIT heavier....
you can verify his with the oils TDS in the links above.

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
According to the Mobil Super HM bottle it is a full syn.

I only see blend, and even that is hard to find. Only seen on the back of the jug where they compare their own oils in a diagram. M1 HM is full syn, MS HM says blend.

Is there any indication that the P HM is a blend as well? Seems to me it is PYB with the addition of seal conditioners....which is fine, just curious as I compare/contrast these two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back