Pennzoil HM vs. Maxlife 10w30???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would pick maxlife personally, based on many reasons stated above + I have used it for years with great results. but then again pennzoil HM is probably as good - i've just never used it.

m1 is going to cost you more b/c it is a full synthetic, however it is excellent oil as well.

get a good filter, too!

Last edited:
After using both of the oils you are considering in the same vehicle, I was more impressed with the Maxlife 10W-40 over the Pennzoil 10W-40 HM. My leaks were less on this HM chevy, cold winter starts quieter (same reg purolator filter). Never tried the Castrol HM due to overpriced compared to the others.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
It is difficult for me to tell from MSDS, but MaxLife has 12% to 15% PAO. It does have better cold flow and better NOACK than Pennzoil HM.

Maxlife is a low SA oil. They reduced their calcium to 1910 and added 490 of sodium in their detergent package.

MaxLife has 300 moly.

I suppose we could debate about BEST add pack indefinitely. I think that MaxLife has low SA but high detergent is good. I think that MaxLife has 300 moly is good. I think that MaxLife has better cold flow and NOACK is good. I think that MaxLife has the newer, longer lasting, longer stay in service, ZDDP package is good.

I'm not sure this is true anymore, and ML might be a Group II/III blend now...

Well thanks again guys...so if I do my spring change and drain the old Mobil-1 Hm from the crankcase of my 5.9L Jeep w/ 178k and fill with 10w30 Maxlife & a WIX filter, then should I save the jug of Pennzoil HM and use it for the next OC in my daily driver 4.0L Jeep w/ 75k that normally gets Trop-artic blend? Or should I save the Pennzoil HM and use in the 5.9 next time, or return it to wally world?

thanks...I trouble with decisions

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastSUV

How do these 2 oils stan up to M-1 HM formula 10w30 as far as additive pkg goes?

I am willing to stick to M1 after I do my test, but if I do decide to switch to one of these oils, I want to know they have as good, or better additives than M1 HM formula does.

And also, maybe the maxlife is best choice since this vehicle will sit a lot and the syn blend will give better cold startup protection & resit moisture better?

Mobil 1 10W-30 is full synthetic. M1 has a heavier base oil than either Max or PP, with a HTHS of 3.66. M1 has a 100C cSt of 11.79, basically the same as Max and PP. M1 has 1000 ZDDP. M1 uses a higher calcium(2450+/-) and a lower level magnesium in their detergent pack. M1 has about 80 moly. I SUSPECT that all 3 use the same type of ester as a seal conditioning agent as they use in all their oils.

If it were my vehicle, and if it were going to sit a lot then work hard when it was used, if it was going to have around 3000 miles a year, and if I were to use a 30 grade oil, it would be M1 10W-30 HM.

MaxLife has 830 zinc and 760 phosphorus. You might search under additives, but there was a very good paper about a ZDDP package that stays in the oil longer. I remember the paper said that only Valvoline and some other brand used this ZDDP package. It stays active longer. 1200 ZDDP does not give more protection than 800 ZDDP, it gives longer protection. Evidently it is possible to get 800 amounts to stay active longer.

EDIT: As I think of it more, it might have been a tech sheet or paper about GF-5 and a comment that Valvoline and some other brand had a jump on the SA and a NEW zinc/phosphorus package. I will look for it tomorrow, off to bed now.

I am still looking to find that paper but I do remember that the other brand was something like Roush Performance Oils which I am about 98.6% sure is either formulated, manufactured, or both by Valvoline.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: FastSUV

How do these 2 oils stan up to M-1 HM formula 10w30 as far as additive pkg goes?

I am willing to stick to M1 after I do my test, but if I do decide to switch to one of these oils, I want to know they have as good, or better additives than M1 HM formula does.

And also, maybe the maxlife is best choice since this vehicle will sit a lot and the syn blend will give better cold startup protection & resit moisture better?

Mobil 1 10W-30 is full synthetic. M1 has a heavier base oil than either Max or PP, with a HTHS of 3.66. M1 has a 100C cSt of 11.79, basically the same as Max and PP. M1 has 1000 ZDDP. M1 uses a higher calcium(2450+/-) and a lower level magnesium in their detergent pack. M1 has about 80 moly. I SUSPECT that all 3 use the same type of ester as a seal conditioning agent as they use in all their oils.

If it were my vehicle, and if it were going to sit a lot then work hard when it was used, if it was going to have around 3000 miles a year, and if I were to use a 30 grade oil, it would be M1 10W-30 HM.

Man you might have swayed me...maybe I will just take them both back and exchange for M1HM...main reason was that I wanted to try something else and see if it burned off less than M1...But that would be a hard test because it is not in service daily anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back