Pennzoil High Mileage Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awhile back my trucks engine formed a very small oil leak. I brought it up to my friends family repair shop and him and my cousin pulled the tranny. They suspected the RMS and replaced it with a National Seal RMS. After it was all put back together it still had a very slow leak. We all decided to just try some HM oil in it until they had a chance to install some dye and diagnose it from there.
Well, I installed some PHM 5W30 oil and now after about 2K miles and a few months it's dry as a bone under my truck and from the engine/trans area. I will continue to use the PHM until it leaks again, if it does, and they can find the time to dye test it, if needed.
BTW, what's a good mileage/month time to run the PHM? I do 90% highway driving.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
They suspected the RMS and replaced it with a National Seal RMS.
so it was replaced on suspicion only? I mean upon removal of the trans, the rear main seal itself or the area nearby would be wet of oil, if not then the rear main seal wasn't leaking. Unless your rear main sear is different then the ones I have encountered.

After it was all put back together it still had a very slow leak.
then it wasn't the rear main seal or the seal wasn't properly installed, Assuming the subsequent area was cleaned up during the process to eliminate any signs of an old leak.

Put PHM 5w30 dino in my 97 4runner about 2K ago. Seems to have stopped a small leak. Keeping fingers crossed.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
PHM is great stuff. With 90% highway driving I'd think it easily a 7.5k oil.

Probably one of the best. Voa of this oil looks great!

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
They suspected the RMS and replaced it with a National Seal RMS.
so it was replaced on suspicion only? I mean upon removal of the trans, the rear main seal itself or the area nearby would be wet of oil, if not then the rear main seal wasn't leaking. Unless your rear main sear is different then the ones I have encountered.

After it was all put back together it still had a very slow leak.
then it wasn't the rear main seal or the seal wasn't properly installed, Assuming the subsequent area was cleaned up during the process to eliminate any signs of an old leak.

It was leaking from between the trans and engine. Pulling the trans was going to reveal either the RMS or the oil pan gasket leaking. We all thought it was the RMS by all wiping the area and then watching it leak, again and again, and again.....But, if you were to see how the rear of the oil pan seal is made you would most likely make the same mistake. That's why next time, if there is one, we will be using dye.

Pennzoil high mileage will be going in my truck whenever it gets warm outside. I believe my rear main seal is leaking a drop or two every time i park it.

Hopefully I see some results. The seal is around $900-$1000 to replace and with the truck being 16 years old I cant justify it for no more than it's dripping. A steel pan works just fine for saving the garage floor.

My friend received a test package (6 qts.) of PPHM 5W30 oil, along with a BlackStone UOA kit. He asked if I wanted it for my trucks next OCI. Opinions?
21.gif

I know this is about PHM, but I personally havent had any luck with it stopping leaks. PYB and PHM behave the same way in my Jeep, but the 10w30 PHM brew is a bit thicker which is nice. Same with my brothers 4.3 Blazer. Both run super quiet on it though.

I had great luck with M1 HM stopping leaks though. Took it about a month or so in my Jeep.

Originally Posted By: car51
BlueOvalFilter: I would stick with PHM, that's just me though

car51, I value your opinion and I have to agree with you. Like they say, "If ain't broke, don't fix it!" In this case, the PHM seems to be the fix.
I will use the Pennzoil Platinum HM oil on one of the tenants cars in my complex or the other complex.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Been running PHM in my Miata for about 8k now... It slowed a rear main leak and HLA tick. So far, one of the best oils I have tried.

I'm sticking with it!

Use it in both my higher mileage vehicles and it seems to be the best oil for them. Neither car leaks but my Equinox consumed roughly a quart an oil change (6-10k, I use the OLM) and it slowed it down to 1/2 a quart. My Malibu consumed roughly 1/4 of a quart through a similar oil change interval and stopped it completely. Both engines are also much quieter versus other oils I have used. Very happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back