Pennzoil High Mileage Oil Cut Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I have been on a mission to slow down/stop(not likely) the oil burning on my 1999 Saturn SL1. When I had gotten the car it had 112k Miles about a year and a half ago, it also had a bad thermostat(no telling how long the engine had been running cold, I think this is probably where the consumption started) Currently it is at 146k miles. It has been burning 1 quart every 1k miles roughly.

This is the car I started learning to do my own maintenance on, When I first got it I had the oil changed at a shop with Havoline - 1 quart per 1k miles burned.

Then I changed it myself for the first time ever, O'Reilly's conventional 5w30 - 1 quart every 1k miles.

Then I read the blessings of Valvoline Maxlife here.. I probably have done at LEAST 4-5 changes with it since I had the car, ranging from 2k miles-4k miles (the shorter interval was actually to get my Purolator off, and switch to PHM and a Fram TG.

In the past 4k miles, I have switched to Pennzoil High Mileage the first 3k miles were the same 1 quart every 1k miles. I am coming up on 4k miles into this change.. and to my surprise.. I am still over halfway full on the dipstick, WOW.

Many will say the MaxLife did the work, PHM finished it.. maybe, I will never say that MaxLife is a bad oil, I just think MaxLife did not fit my cars needs, it almost seems as Maxlife is Valvolines flagship oil, and honestly is better suited in cars with only minor/no oil burning, or moderate leaks.

I Personally attribute Pennzoil High Mileage oil helping for a number of reasons, vs MaxLife.

-Maxlife is resource conserving, PHM is not.
-Maxlife is a semi syn, PHM is not (or at least not advertised as one)
-I could be mistaken, but I believe PHM in the 5w30 flavor is a bit thicker compared to Maxlife.

-Pennzoil always touts its cleaning ability, the chances that PHM freed a stuck ring, where maxlife did not? HIGHLY unlikely.. but maybe STILL possible, or maybe it did finish a job maxlife started.

-Pennzoil contains a HIGH dose of Moly, which is supposed to "fill gaps and provide an anti-wear layer", MaxLife does not. HOWEVER I also feel like this is an unlikely explanation, I expect Valvoline Maxlife to contain some sort of similar antiwear agent that is not detected with UOA/VOA.

All this is anecdotal of course, and I am in NO way bashing Maxlife, Or saying Pennzoil HM is better, instead.. I feel both oils have there places, and its up to the consumer to try and make an educated decision. (I actually feel like VML is an amazing oil to run in a newerish car with high miles, or an older car with no huge leaks/consumption as a preventive measure.)

Take this for what you will, I will continue to watch the level and update as I can. I really wanted to do this as I have been planning on experimenting with different oils to see what happens, I still want to do some more runs of PHM, and also try some Quaker State Defy, Castrol High Mileage, and Mobil 1 High Mileage(When I have the extra money). Another reason for this is, we have tons of info and recommendations here for Valvoline MaxLife for people with consumption leaking issues, and I feel like the other big name High Mileage oils don't get nearly as much recognition.

Share your thoughts, and also share if you've had any similar experiences or successes with different oils.

My Thoughts; keep using the Pennzoil HM + TG
smile.gif

If pennzoil had a formulation like valvoline synpower but with their pureplus base ?they would likely beat all but group 5 oil hands down even tho its a group 3.maybe they ll add it to their repertoire or shell it self will but as it is ?i dont think any of shell and their owned variant have formulated a la synpower.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
My Thoughts; keep using the Pennzoil HM + TG
smile.gif

I definitely will, at least for a few more OCI's. If I get results I am super happy with, I may not try anything else. If it stops at around a half quart every 1k miles, I may try to switch it up just for fun. I figure it couldn't hurt.

Op :it will do diminishing return but if pennzoil does improve your issue .even at a slower rate?might be worth to write down your progress then once a year write it here.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Op :it will do diminishing return but if pennzoil does improve your issue .even at a slower rate?might be worth to write down your progress then once a year write it here.

I had been writing it down in my "records book" I keep in my dash, but stopped since nothing was improving with VML, looks like its time to start again, I will start doing this again during my next OCI and continue from there.

I just started using PYB in my '98 Neon with 146 K miles. It was using a quart every 600 miles. It used up a quart of the PYB right away, then the consumption went way down. I'm guessing a stuck oil ring was freed up.

I would stick with one oil
If the phm works just keep using it
Bouncing from one oil to the next wont really tell you anything other than they are all about the same anyway

I used Pennzoil Ultra in my 2009 Chrysler T&C that was burning a quart of oil every 1k miles. Currently, it has used about a half quart in 1400 miles. I also changed out the PCV valve. I do think the lower NOACK PU probably did the trick, but I can't prove that.

I've also had good luck with Pennzoil HM 5w-30 in a Honda that was leaking.

Stopped the leak within one OCI

I am running PHM right now and am very happy with it, it's basically a thicker version of PYB which I've had great success with, and I imagine a bit more seal conditioners. Maxlife has done us very well in the past also but you're right it is no thicker than anything else in it's grade these days. Some engines respond to thicker, some don't.

Anyway if it's working stay with it I'd say.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I am running PHM right now and am very happy with it, it's basically a thicker version of PYB which I've had great success with, and I imagine a bit more seal conditioners. Maxlife has done us very well in the past also but you're right it is no thicker than anything else in it's grade these days. Some engines respond to thicker, some don't.

KC, why did you go to PHM over the VML? Has the PHM stopped your oil consumption better than VML or is it more of a preference thing?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

KC, why did you go to PHM over the VML? Has the PHM stopped your oil consumption better than VML or is it more of a preference thing?

I'm talking about the Jeep. Still using Maxlife in the Chrysler and the Ranger, they seem to thrive on Maxlife. The Jeep runs crazy quiet (for the old 4.0 anyway) on Pennzoil, but sounds like it has marbles in the oil pan with Maxlife in the crank.

Maxlife has notably slowed consumption in both the Ranger and the Chrysler, the Jeep has never had any consumption issues.

Good news actionstan. Keep monitoring and see if it stays that way or better.

Then, incorporate some high speed high RPM, 65-75 MPH runs to see if it holds. I am currently taking care of (4) Saturns & have (2) myself.

They burn MUCH more oil at high RPM runs, which at freeway speeds, are 3000 to 3500 RPM's! The hypereutectic pistons & no oil weep holes in the lower piston ring create the stuck rings & thus the oil burning. Quality oil is a must to stop this as those are spots of extremely high temperature where coking occurs.

Don't forget to keep us informed here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back