Pennzoil High Mileage conventional moly content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if Pennzoil High Mileage convention oil still contains the huge dose of moly that the old copper colored bottle had? The only voa I could find was the older copper bottle on the PQIA site. Any voas,uoas on the current yellow bottle formula?

I'm not sure if it remained the same with the SN+ formula, but keep in mind that the moly content in the old formula used dinuclear MoDTC which is less effective than trinuclear MoDTC found in lower concentrations in most synthetic oils and some other conventional oils. Oil with 80 ppm of trinuclear MoDTC will have greater friction reduction than an oil with 200 ppm of dinuclear MoDTC.

Curious to know if more and more newer additives are not properly identified by UOAs/VOAs? For example, does Mobil's Trinuclear moly show up on a UOA/VOA under moly? Makes me wonder what we are not seeing?

Originally Posted by mbacfp
Curious to know if more and more newer additives are not properly identified by UOAs/VOAs? For example, does Mobil's Trinuclear moly show up on a UOA/VOA under moly? Makes me wonder what we are not seeing?

If the compound being used contains the element molybdenum then it will show up on an ICP analysis. The high plasma temperature of an ICP decomposes all compounds and the atoms will register in the detector. The compounds that will not show up do not contain metallic elements, especially those that would be masked by the oil or atmospheric elements.

I do not know this but it may be that some molybdenum compounds are more effective at what they do and therefore only require a lower concentration than a different one. Or the molybdenum containing compound was replaced with a compound with a different metallic element.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I'm not sure if it remained the same with the SN+ formula, but keep in mind that the moly content in the old formula used dinuclear MoDTC which is less effective than trinuclear MoDTC found in lower concentrations in most synthetic oils and some other conventional oils. Oil with 80 ppm of trinuclear MoDTC will have greater friction reduction than an oil with 200 ppm of dinuclear MoDTC.

Sorry, missed this reply about one compound being more effective than another, too late to alter my response above..

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

Sorry, missed this reply about one compound being more effective than another, too late to alter my response above..

Note that the same applies to ZDDP as well. Secondary type ZDDP will be more effective at lower concentrations than primary type or primary/secondary blend. The same with detergents. We don't know the ratio of neutral to overbased detergents in any given formulation. It could have less neutral detergent with a higher concentration of low TBN (300) overbased detergent, or more neutral detergent with a lower concentration of high TBN (400) overbased detergent, and both give the same TBN result in an analysis, but one will retain that TBN longer and one will be more surface aggressive.

Unfortunately, ICP only gives us the table of contents, not the entire book.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back