Pennzoil Gold Dexos Blend

Is Pennzoil Gold Dexos Blend essentially GII+/GIII+ 50/50 Base Blend resulting in essentially the same VI as GIII?

Would that result in essentially the same performance given the same add pack?

I'm thinking it should be lumped with the standard (as opposed to premium) synthetics such as QSFS, Mobil 1 FS and Havoline DS.

Just havening a hard time putting it in a category.

How much of the finished product's performance is due to the base oil vs the additive pack? I think that is the question we should also be considering.

I would expect a blend's base oils to deliver performance this is similar to a generic/store-brand synthetic.

I used Pennzoil Gold 0W20 in my 2018 4cylinder Tacoma.
Liked it a lot.
Saw some very impressive UOAs on Bitog.
Sopus created good synergy here.
Did you know it's got some GTL in it ? :cool:
Blends are better than you think.
See Magnatec and VML.

why would any synthetic blend be considered a synthetic?...at best it is a blend...maybe better than some "full" synthetics but still a blend???

Bill

why would any synthetic blend be considered a synthetic?...at best it is a blend...maybe better than some "full" synthetics but still a blend???

Bill

Never claimed it was a Synthetic. I asked what performance category I place it in. If it's the equal of say MC Synthetic then that's what I should shop it against not MC Blend.

Most of it's stats look pretty similar to a WPP Synthetic. So if I catch it on clearance at under WPP prices it would be a buy correct?

Never claimed it was a Synthetic. I asked what performance category I place it in. If it's the equal of say MC Synthetic then that's what I should shop it against not MC Blend.

Most of it's stats look pretty similar to a WPP Synthetic. So if I catch it on clearance at under WPP prices it would be a buy correct?
You place it in the category of oils that have the same dexos license.

Unless you're able to read the tea leaves of a PDS or SDS and make a valid prediction of the future performance beyond that license?

You place it in the category of oils that have the same dexos license.

Unless you're able to read the tea leaves of a PDS or SDS and make a valid prediction of the future performance beyond that license?

That was my point. A Blend of 123/127 VI GIII does not automatically make an oil superior to a blend of 115 GII+/136 GIII+.

I suspect blended at 50/50 with the same add pack the oils would be very hard to distinguish.

So it seems to me I need to get over my inclination to lump everything with "Blend" with Motorcraft (no disrespect meant it's just kind of the Blend Yardstick) when some (Schaeffer's 7000 and Penn Gold for instance) should more likely be in the performance category of the standard synthetics.

Disclaimer:
I did buy and use some Pennz Gold Dexos that was the cheapest oil available (clearance). Although I suspect it may have been D1G2 it was made before the label change. I needed something to replace 1,000 mi OEM Oil with an unknown amount of idling after a year and 3 different dealers. It smelled like it was primarily gas (TGDI).

The dealership put Pennzoil Gold Syn-Blend 5w-20 in my wife's 2012 Mustang 3.7L V6 when we bought it. I did a UOA on it, and I must say it looks very good. The report says "unknown" because I didn't know what oil it was at the time I took the sample. It took a while for the dealership to get back to me on what oil they used.

6-18-2020 - Pennzoil Gold Syn-Blend 5w-20, 6800 miles.jpg

ok then...if it meets or exceeds your requirements why not???...

good luck with your choice

Bill

That was my point. A Blend of 123/127 VI GIII does not automatically make an oil superior to a blend of 115 GII+/136 GIII+.

I suspect blended at 50/50 with the same add pack the oils would be very hard to distinguish.

So it seems to me I need to get over my inclination to lump everything with "Blend" with Motorcraft (no disrespect meant it's just kind of the Blend Yardstick) when some (Schaeffer's 7000 and Penn Gold for instance) should more likely be in the performance category of the standard synthetics.

Disclaimer:
I did buy and use some Pennz Gold Dexos that was the cheapest oil available (clearance). Although I suspect it may have been D1G2 it was made before the label change. I needed something to replace 1,000 mi OEM Oil with an unknown amount of idling after a year and 3 different dealers. It smelled like it was primarily gas (TGDI).
I bought a 6 gallon box of PG 0w20 D1.2 and use in a Charger … not doing long runs … but a solid 50/50 blend IMO …
(Pennzoil rep advised us it’s 50/50 a while back)

Back