Pennzoil Gold 5W30 better than Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say that with a small capacity size in that car I'd not go more than 6k miles whether it was Pennzoil Gold, Castrol Magnatec, and or Supertech 5w30.

My car has a 4 qts 28/32 of a qt capacity. It has the 3.5 VQ motor which has a little bit of kick to it. I got the car with only 39k miles on it in Nov 2012. It has almost 219k miles now. A very good car overall. I have run all kinds of different oil in it. Castrol Magnatec 5w30, Castrol Ultraclean, Castrol gold bottle, Havoline Pro DS, Havoline DS, Motorcraft, Super S, Mobil Super Synthetic, Mobil Super, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra, Pennzoil Gold, Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic, Valvoline white bottle, Formula Shell, Rotella T5. Out of all of them the ones I think we're the best in that motor was #1 Castrol gold bottle, #2 Pennzoil Ultra, #3 Havoline Pro DS, #4 Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic, #5 Valvoline white bottle, #6 Mobil Super Synthetic, #7 Mobil Super and #8 Smitty's Super S.
A couple of those I can no longer find... Pennzoil Ultra and Havoline Pro DS.

Yeah I knew which one you meant. Still have not seen anyone run that Edge in a Ecoboost. Or I am not remembering it right...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Is Pennzoil Gold the same as PYB?

Nope.
PYB=pennzoil yellow bottle it just says pennzoil (conventional)
Pennzoil gold says Pennzoil gold (syn blend)

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Is Pennzoil Gold the same as PYB?
Pennzoil Gold passes stricter standards, like Dexos 1, there is also 0w20, which PYB does not have them. Also, I have heard that Pennzoil Gold is about 50% synthetic.

Hi man. Sorry about the late reply and thank you so much for going the details of your experience! The Pennzoil Gold now got 1000 miles in my car. I couldnt differentiate between it and the Castrol Magnatec I used in the past. I think both of them should be fine.
smile.gif

As you can see from my sig, I decided to give the Gold 5W30 a try...to some extent because the cold properties looked so good for a 5W30 in the PDS wemay kindly shared a while ago and also because M1 0W30 AFE d1G2 jugs are still not in evidence around here! No issues with it after almost 4000 miles (not that I expected any), but it seems to have disappeared from my local WM's shelves already. QSUD apparently has taken its place.

I sure don't know that the Gold 5W30 is a better oil than the PP 5W30, but the CCS/MRV results and flashpoint sure caught my eye. I always hope that there is some correlation between higher flashpoints and lower NOACK losses, but I'm sure it's a weak one at best and I know I shouldn't read too much into flashpoint results...but, I gotta say that flashpoint for the new PP 5W30 looks really low.

I would never buy a synthetic blend. If they were any good, then the manufacturer would tell us the % amount of synthetic in that quart jug. But becasue they won't admit the exact amount, I choose to boycott it.

Rumors I heard that the average amount of synthetic is 25% and none of the big producers exceed 30%. Not sure really!
Make your own blend using Platinum and Yellow Bottle. That way you know the exact amount. I've been doing it for nearly 25 years and I know it works well, being I'm first and last owner of my vehicles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back