Pennzoil going soft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or do the most recent Pennzoil uoa's seem to have less stout add packs? From all of the ones I've seen, they usually have atleast 2400 ppm calcium for PYB and 2500-2800 for Platinum and Ultra...thoughts?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3357973/gonew/1/Pennzoil_Ultra_5w20_%7C_13229mi_#UNREAD

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3356612/Pennzoil_5w30_Blend,_09_Luxus_#Post3356612

I have never had the desire to buy pennzoil.....I have always been Castrol guy.
Just filled the Civic SI with Edge Gold bottle...Extended Performance....Course, Ill still change it after 6k...thats how i roll.
There is a lot of Pennzoil quick change places though.....
As far as the add packs....Sorry, no info

Last edited:
and this one....not saying it's not still a great product, but for a company that prides itself on cleaning power, why would they reduce their detergents?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3358423/PU_5/30_4300m_%7C_33.3K_m_2010_3#Post3358423

I wanted to put the EP in the Mustang this week but my walmart stopped carrying it...but the EDGE/Syntec may be my favorite oil I've had in it so far. As far as Sopus goes, I've been slowly sliding off the bandwagon for a while now...I just get discounts on it at work so sometimes it's just cost effective....

Not sure about that....I'm running quaket state myself, and it seems to do just fine for me...

I always thought that a little less cleaning is going to hurt them....

Originally Posted By: Stang40
I wanted to put the EP in the Mustang this week but my walmart stopped carrying it...but the EDGE/Syntec may be my favorite oil I've had in it so far. As far as Sopus goes, I've been slowly sliding off the bandwagon for a while now...I just get discounts on it at work so sometimes it's just cost effective....

Edge is good stuff! Keep on using it.

I have bought yellow bottle and Platinum in the past based on price, not additives, but the new rebate schemes have turned me off.

Originally Posted By: Stang40
and this one....not saying it's not still a great product, but for a company that prides itself on cleaning power, why would they reduce their detergents?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3358423/PU_5/30_4300m_%7C_33.3K_m_2010_3#Post3358423

Wear is non-existent in this sample...why the hard-on about Pennzoil??

Last edited:
I never said it wasn't still a good product...I was just asking if everyone else was noticing the trend in the add pack.

Well I agree with you they definitely changed Ultra. The very first SM Ultra had huge detergent levels, something like 3,000 ppm calcium but they got away from that quite a while ago with SN. It doesn't really matter what they do to Ultra cause nobody is going to be able to find it anyway.

The blend you posted is no indication of anything as it was dealer installed bulk we don't even really know what it was, that and we have no bonafide Pennzoil syn blend UOA/VOA to compare it to either.

PYB has been extremely consistent add pack wise through out it's SN run and I hope they don't change it love the stuff.

There are many oil additives that do not show up on a simple oil analysis, so judging the quality of oil based on PPM of a certain element is not effective.

Many people here say bad things about Gastrol GTX because they see very few metallic additives, yet a UOA shows Castrol GTX is good.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Judging an oils performance capability by simple $20 oil analysis is at best foolish.

And what would judging an oil's performance without a $20 analysis be? Some information is better than no information. Without the analysis, you're down to monitoring oil consumption and looking at how dark the oil appears on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: disneyfire
I have never had the desire to buy pennzoil.....I have always been Castrol guy.
Just filled the Civic SI with Edge Gold bottle...Extended Performance....Course, Ill still change it after 6k...

Then save some money and don't bother with the Extended Performance. Regular Syntec will get you to 6k easily.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Judging an oils performance capability by simple $20 oil analysis is at best foolish.

And what would judging an oil's performance without a $20 analysis be? Some information is better than no information. Without the analysis, you're down to monitoring oil consumption and looking at how dark the oil appears on the dipstick.

A tear down of the engine is the best way to see how an oil and engine performed wear wise, but it is not something most people would do. I think that was what the comment was getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back