Pennzoil Euro L

Anyone use Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 oil, I have a 01 Volvo V70XC AWD 2.4 turbo and currently use Pennzoil platinum 5w30 full synthetic… Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpeg
    IMG_0696.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: wlk
I've used it. Didn't do a used oil analysis on it, and even if I did, I couldn't tell you if it did well or not. I only ran this oil for 5000 miles, and this oil is designed to go further.

I've used it. Didn't do a used oil analysis on it, and even if I did, I couldn't tell you if it did well or not. I only ran this oil for 5000 miles, and this oil is designed to go further
Appreciate the reply, I’ll give it try and use it for a 5,000 mile oil change…Thanks

Appreciate the reply, I’ll give it try and use it for a 5,000 mile oil change…Thanks
Many people with a lot more experience on this site would give you a thumbs up on that choice. I always choose the "Euro" versions if there is a choice, as the Euro versions seem to be spec'd to run for longer intervals (not that I run as long as they say they can run!) than the non-Euro choices. If you happen across the Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30, some people say this is the same as the Shell Ultra Helix, which is highly regarded. If you are sticking with 5000 mile OCI's (like I do), it probably doesn't matter which you use.

The Euro L should be fine. Volvo requires an A1/B1 in that vintage, but there is a TNN about cleaning sludge that recommends an A3/B4. 5W30 is OK, but your manual will say that a higher viscosity is better for mountains, or towing. Your call on how you use the car.

More I importantly, have you had the PCV system replaced? I mean replaced. The glove test sort of works, but about every 100,000 miles, depending on oil used and interval, the system starts to degrade in performance, and you want it working properly or you’ll see both increased oil consumption and blown cam seals.

The Euro L should be fine. Volvo requires an A1/B1 in that vintage, but there is a TNN about cleaning sludge that recommends an A3/B4. 5W30 is OK, but your manual will say that a higher viscosity is better for mountains, or towing. Your call on how you use the car.

More I importantly, have you had the PCV system replaced? I mean replaced. The glove test sort of works, but about every 100,000 miles, depending on oil used and interval, the system starts to degrade in performance, and you want it working properly or you’ll see both increased oil consumption and blown cam seals.
Yes, Just replaced the Pcv system. The ports wasn’t to clogged. I also cleaned the throttle body while servicing the Pcv components…. I had a 2003 Volvo S80 a few years ago, If Volvo only had a normal and easy to replace Pcv valve like other cars…Lol

I purchased the V70XC about a month ago, The car was taken care of and dealer service. The owner son was in a wheelchair and she need something bigger, I need to change the differential and power steering fluid’s, The Volvo have the Aisin transmission so I used Toyota T-IV atf… She runs much better after Pcv replacement and she needed a new oil cap seal from a leaking oil cap.

Used it in my kids old C30 and it was the only oil to not have any usage for the 7k (or 7500 mile) oci that Volvo had. Castrol and Mobil 1 would be over a qt to some being 2qts of consumption during that interval. Used it everytime since until he sold it, would run it w confidence

We have owned many white block Volvos. Currently replacing the rear main seals, AT seals and all PCV components on a new to us 1995 850 sedan. See pictures below.

I will run an A3/B4 MB 229.5 0W40 oil. Mobil 1 and then HPL.

Replacing the PCV components in this engine is tedious at best. I’d like to postpone doing it again for long, long time.

Attachments

• IMG_8020.jpeg
    IMG_8020.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8024.jpeg
    IMG_8024.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8021.jpeg
    IMG_8021.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8025.jpeg
    IMG_8025.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 23
the thickness is at the high edge of 30wt being 12.5cst@100c
Which I feel is a plus for your application.

Used extensively in two BMWs, no issues. Also used in a 13 Suzuki SX4 SB a few times.

We have owned many white block Volvos. Currently replacing the rear main seals, AT seals and all PCV components on a new to us 1995 850 sedan. See pictures below.

I will run an A3/B4 MB 229.5 0W40 oil. Mobil 1 and then HPL.

Replacing the PCV components in this engine is tedious at best. I’d like to postpone doing it again for long, long time.
I was thinking about running 5W40 but wasn’t sure if anyone used 5w40 in a Volvo.

I've ran this one and am currently running the LX 0w30 in my 370z, Could not tell the difference between the two and drained at 5000 miles/8000km using Fram Ultra filters.

Both have a HTHS of 3.5 I believe and strong manufacture approvals. Pick your poison and be happy. Oh I have also ran M1 0w40 in the Z, again no noticeable diff except the cars oil temp was a bit warmer (I use a oil cooler anyway so...)

Back